Support thread: IoX 5.5.9 Release

9 hours ago, ShawnW said:

Kinda interesting for you all maybe - I never do the java cache clear thing - after update I simply use the Cloud version of the Admin Console for one day, and on Day 2 the IoX FInder has updated itself to the proper matching version. Not sure how/why exactly but I don't complain! Anyone else's behave like this? You should try it to see if you get the same @brians . Shawn

Whether it works or not, most of us here used the isy prior to the portal. While your method may work, most people here go by the proper procedures to lessen the chance of something going wrong.

Clearing java cache has been such a tried and true method that avoids so many potential issues, it's hard to let go of for some of us

Looks like Programs are messed up now. Got things going off when things shouldn't. Z-Wave devices quit out, reboot fixes it, then you need to restart node servers because they crap out as well after a reboot.

One step forward, two steps back ... So far twice a day in reboots.

My reboot procedure:
1) Reboot eisy
2) Restart Kasa Node
3) Restart Govee
4) Restart NOAA

Not to mention having to redo all my smokes alarms for an update. That's a little too tedious. 

FYI: Seem the programs that stopped working correctly were those that had a schedule to turn on and off the next day. The Enable/Disable of a program seems to also not be doing what it should be doing. Example it should enable set of programs from sunrise to sunset but that's no longer happening even after update and reboot does not fix it.

TRI0N

Edited by TRI0N
On 3/9/2023 at 2:59 PM, larryllix said:

Wow! What a text mess. Strange I didn't see that one.

Nice attempt to belittle the complaints. Read the thread title.

The point was, nobody reads the webpage manual instructions to click the update button, and the instructions are given to the user via the code installed in the IoX, same source as the code that beeps the polISY and eISY, not from some website page.

When the code changed to beep six times, the code to tell the user it should beep only 4 times could have been corrected to match. Now this error has been reported a few times for the last few years and yet nothing has been done to correct it. This should have taken less than 5 minutes to correct a piece of text inside IoX and appears to be an error reported many times that has caused a lot of confusion for users attempting to upgrade.

If you are going to report errors via a beep count system it needs to be accurate or at least tended to, when bugs are reported. Otherwise, remove the beep system and stop confusing the users and possibly causing more problems. I don't expect a perfect ISY but it gets a little tiring when bugs persist for 20 and 30 releases that are so easily corrected.

Cripes, many of the bugs still exist from the upgrade to V5, from V4 (remember 5 years ago?). I have already dumped my polisy once due to so many operational bugs and went back to my ISY994. Looking forward, I have given polisy  another chance (code conversion was a bitch) but it may have been a mistake again after many years of "debugging" something that is still less reliable than ISY994 was.

careful - you'll get a private nastygram 

then he will lock the thread after you are called a drunk so you won't reply

i do think there is a missed opportunity on documentation - especially conceptual overviews - people that have been here a decade do not understand the concepts, especially since polynode whatever - but i will say its not easy to find someone that understands the concepts and has the ability to effectively write those concepts for the audience

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
On 3/8/2023 at 11:05 AM, DennisC said:

My update to v5.5.9 on eisy went well, as far as the update goes. However, after 3 "update packages" one "reboot" and one "power cycle", I am still receiving the Update Packages messages.

Just added the info to my existing support ticket about this issue.

For anyone still receiving the "Update Packages Available" message, I received confirmation from UD that they have found and corrected the root cause for this. It will be fixed in the next release.

• Thanks 3

Finally have time today to migrate from Polisy/zwave to eisy/zmatter.  Followed all steps, both devices upgraded to 5.5.9, wrote the migration backup from Polisy, shut it down, plugged USB PLM into eisy booted it back up, started restore using migration backup which has been running for over an hour while I was busy with something else, and IoX finder still won't find it, and manually entering says Not Found.

Running tail -f /var/isy/FILES/LOG/ZWAY.LOG
shows things still happening. but isy is not responding.  Any ideas before I submit a ticket?

15 minutes ago, Jimbo.Automates said:

Finally have time today to migrate from Polisy/zwave to eisy/zmatter.  Followed all steps, both devices upgraded to 5.5.9, wrote the migration backup from Polisy, shut it down, plugged USB PLM into eisy booted it back up, started restore using migration backup which has been running for over an hour while I was busy with something else, and IoX finder still won't find it, and manually entering says Not Found.

Running tail -f /var/isy/FILES/LOG/ZWAY.LOG
shows things still happening. but isy is not responding.  Any ideas before I submit a ticket?

Run sudo tail -f/var/UDX/logs/log 

If it shows activity, I would just wait awhile longer. What version did you start with before upgrading to v5.5.9?

26 minutes ago, Jimbo.Automates said:

Figured out my issue, but not sure why.  eisy keeps switching between ethernet/wifi.  Same ethernet cable was used that was previously plugged into Polisy...

Edit: didn't mean to do multiple posts, moved my comments over here: 

Try doing a search in the forum. I seem to remember a post where someone had an issue upgrading and when UD connected that's what they found. Just don't remember if the posted what UD did to correct.

Maybe you can disable wifi until the upgrade is done?

• Like 1

My eisy has now been stable for well over a month, including all up-to-date upgrades. Therefore it is time to put my Polisy out to pasture and if anyone wants my Polisy then  I'll be happy to give it away (shipping cost only).

BTW my HA Yellow Box is also stable, so my old RPi 3 goes into the closet for any potential future use.

1 hour ago, asbril said:

My eisy has now been stable for well over a month, including all up-to-date upgrades. Therefore it is time to put my Polisy out to pasture and if anyone wants my Polisy then  I'll be happy to give it away (shipping cost only).

BTW my HA Yellow Box is also stable, so my old RPi 3 goes into the closet for any potential future use.

The first has come and will be served :-) 

• Haha 1

I upgraded to 5.5.9 last week and everything worked fine for 2 days and now none of my insteon devices can be talked to.

I have a Polisy with zwave matter board and Serial PLM. I am using the Admin console.

Node servers are running and ISY sees that data, zwave works fine, my Insteon devices show as online, but the event viewer shows no activity to them, only zwave and node server activity. Query any insteon device and no data.

Show PLM Info and it says not connected. Have a green light on PLM, replaced all the capacitors with better quality last fall and it has been running without issues. Any ideas, I have rebooted and power cycled to no avail.

Has anyone seen this as a software issue?

I will try a new PLM next week.

Just went to 5.5.9 on my eisy, all looks well so far, my ("Run at Startup" programs didn't trigger but maybe I was just impatient).  No pending update messages (I left it alone for 20 min.), it requested a reboot on first connection, I did so,  and everything seems ok.  It would be nice if UD added messages to the BSD Unix console indicating update progress.  Polyglot and Elk came to life with no intervention required.

46 minutes ago, Techman said:

It's possible that the PLM cable failed. Are you using the cable that shipped with the PLM?

the original cables were long gone. But Michael shipped me one when I bought the Polisy (this one looks like it was from a PLM).

Stumped, so I powered everything off again and reseated the PLM serial cable (as the screws do not work).

It did not seem loose, BUT Powered up and Its Back!!!

So I will keep an eye on it. Insteon has been solid since I rebuilt the PLM.

It looks like minor UDX/IoX updates dropped (along with 100 FreeBSD updates).  No idea what the changes are.

Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
	udx: 3.3.9_1 -> 3.3.9_2 [udi]

Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
	isy: 5.5.9 -> 5.5.9_1 [udi]

On 3/7/2023 at 5:18 PM, Chris Jahn said:

For Z-Wave Smoke Alarms, CO, CO2, Water Valve that are not reporting properly, do either:

1) right+click "Z-Wave | Synchronize | Update"

- OR -

2) Remove / Add the device again

thanks i will try soon ! 

do you think you will add zigbee motor store soon ? 

Time is Last Run Time

@Chris Jahn I have a couple programs that average outside conditions from multiple sensors such as temperature and luminance.  These programs use “Time is Last Run Time for ‘programName’ + 5 minutes.”  Run At Startup is “On” in the Programs/Summary view for the specific programs.  Last Run Time and Last Finish Time is populated, yet many hours ago and not 5 minutes ago.  And the cell for Next Scheduled Run is blank.  In the examples attached, it is 10:11 AM and the Last Run Time is 2:55 AM.  If I manually invoke “Run Then” the program runs, the average variable and all cells in Programs/Summary update appropriately and the programs continue to run every 5 minutes for ? until it fails again.  These ran fine in earlier releases.   Whaz up?  Thanks,  Grant

ProgramSummary.jpg

ProgramAverageLUMEN.jpg

2 hours ago, GJ Software Products said:

Time is Last Run Time

@GJ Software Products for specific help with an issue please submit a support ticket. Forums are typically not where UDI will watch for issues such as this. It's best to get individual help for this issue so UDI can troubleshoot and see what your system is doing privately. 

https://www.universal-devices.com/my-tickets/

Also note for easier reading, and searchability, in the forums please use "Copy to Clipboard" by right clicking on the program then paste as text (rather than a screen shot). It helps others by becoming searchable should they ever have a similar issue.

20 hours ago, Geddy said:

@GJ Software Products for specific help with an issue please submit a support ticket. Forums are typically not where UDI will watch for issues such as this. It's best to get individual help for this issue so UDI can troubleshoot and see what your system is doing privately. 

https://www.universal-devices.com/my-tickets/

Also note for easier reading, and searchability, in the forums please use "Copy to Clipboard" by right clicking on the program then paste as text (rather than a screen shot). It helps others by becoming searchable should they ever have a similar issue.

@Geddy I'll wait for it to fail 3 times (2 down & counting) before I open a support ticket.  I've also had troubles with ANDing something in the If clause with Last Run Time but if I remember right that was intermittent too.  Although that doesn't apply in the example I gave above.  And I like "Copy to Clipboard" over Export to..." 'cuz that gives you a nice little text array/field/content quicker to read than the XML from Export...  Thanks for pointing that out.   It held over the night, we'll see how it goes.  Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this?    -G

On 3/19/2023 at 10:21 AM, GJ Software Products said:

@Geddy I'll wait for it to fail 3 times (2 down & counting) before I open a support ticket.  I've also had troubles with ANDing something in the If clause with Last Run Time but if I remember right that was intermittent too.  Although that doesn't apply in the example I gave above.  And I like "Copy to Clipboard" over Export to..." 'cuz that gives you a nice little text array/field/content quicker to read than the XML from Export...  Thanks for pointing that out.   It held over the night, we'll see how it goes.  Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this?    -G

3rd time hit, I've opened a Support Ticket and will post findings once we have something.  Thx,   -G

I'm seeing some odd issues with IoX on eisy (5.5.9) and customized notifications (for both email and text messages).  I don't think this unique to the latest version (I recall seeing odd things on prior versions) but I was able to capture screenshots to report the issue on 5.5.9.    

When migrating from my polisy to eisy a while back, I migrated a bunch of customized notifications over.  Since then, I have cleaned up the list, wiped a bunch of the old ones out, and added a few new ones.  However, I've periodically noticed that IoX on eisy seems confused and references notifications that shouldn't be available. 

For example, this evening I logged into the admin console and looked at a few programs that send out notifications. Under the selectable "content" options for what can be sent out via a program, I saw a bunch of options that had been deleted quite some time ago.  They showed up as available to the program, but they don't show up as an available option under the master list of customized notifications. Seems like something is being cached or pulled from the wrong place. 

I've attached screen shots of what I'm seeing.  The options available via the program content show customized notifications available for thermostats, watchdogs, and wireless tags, but I deleted those quite some time ago, and none of those options show up on the under list of customized notifications. 

Anyone else seeing something odd with notifications?

Here's some screenshots.  The first is what the program thinks is available.  None of thermostat, watchdog, or wireless tag options under content should be there: 
Screenshot-ProgramOptions.png.1f856afdd41e6d5b99645695d9acfda6.png

Here's what shows up under my master list of custom notifications (no thermostat, watchdog, or wireless tag options are listed - they were deleted weeks ago), and I've saved and reloaded the notifications list multiple times since then. 

Screenshots-AvailableCustomizations.png.d7ec3043ae43d62fcad27719561dbf1c.png

As additional info, I've cleared Java cache, and downloaded the latest version of start.jnlp.  After working with IoX and eisy for a while, it does seem that eventually what should be in the list actually does appear there.  But if I close the admin console and start it up again, the old list of deleted items reappears. 

Edited by dwengrovitz
I'm seeing some odd issues with IoX on eisy (5.5.9) and customized notifications (for both email and text messages).  I don't think this unique to the latest version (I recall seeing odd things on prior versions) but I was able to capture screenshots to report the issue on 5.5.9.    
When migrating from my polisy to eisy a while back, I migrated a bunch of customized notifications over.  Since then, I have cleaned up the list, wiped a bunch of the old ones out, and added a few new ones.  However, I've periodically noticed that IoX on eisy seems confused and references notifications that shouldn't be available. 
For example, this evening I logged into the admin console and looked at a few programs that send out notifications. Under the selectable "content" options for what can be sent out via a program, I saw a bunch of options that had been deleted quite some time ago.  They showed up as available to the program, but they don't show up as an available option under the master list of customized notifications. Seems like something is being cached or pulled from the wrong place. 
I've attached screen shots of what I'm seeing.  The options available via the program content show customized notifications available for thermostats, watchdogs, and wireless tags, but I deleted those quite some time ago, and none of those options show up on the under list of customized notifications. 
Anyone else seeing something odd with notifications?
Here's some screenshots.  The first is what the program thinks is available.  None of thermostat, watchdog, or wireless tag options under content should be there: 
http://d2z8ydsemzif1x.cloudfront.net/monthly_2023_03/Screenshot-ProgramOptions.png.1f856afdd41e6d5b99645695d9acfda6.png

Here's what shows up under my master list of custom notifications (no thermostat, watchdog, or wireless tag options are listed - they were deleted weeks ago), and I've saved and reloaded the notifications list multiple times since then. 
http://d2z8ydsemzif1x.cloudfront.net/monthly_2023_03/Screenshots-AvailableCustomizations.png.d7ec3043ae43d62fcad27719561dbf1c.png

As additional info, I've cleared Java cache, and downloaded the latest version of start.jnlp.  After working with IoX and eisy for a while, it does seem that eventually what should be in the list actually does appear there.  But if I close the admin console and start it up again, the old list of deleted items reappears. 

I see the same thing. Once I go to the custom notification tab and back to programs they show correctly until I restart AC. UDI is looking into it.
8 hours ago, DennisC said:

Try rebooting eisy.

DennisC - thanks for the suggestion.  I tried rebooting (as was done with recent upgrades) and it has no noticeable effect.  I can still easily reproduce the problem.  Similarly, powering off and restarting the eisy also has no noticeable effect on this issue.