Support thread: IoX 5.5.9 Release

8 hours ago, Geddy said:

If you’re going to quote the release maybe post the WHOLE release…or at least the important part after what you seem to take issue with…

I’d say that UDI even adding/acknowledging that some of the i3 support is available is a big step, and saying they are actively WORKING with Insteon is an even bigger step. Considering the focus of recent updates was squashing bugs the process to introduce the initial support for a brand new (to the wide public) product is HUGE!  

So don’t throw shade without acknowledging the line following your quote. 

Would you have rather waited for UDI to comment on i3 support until it was fully implemented? We already have posts here asking if i3 will work with eisy/Polisy, heck even some hoping it will show up on the “ancient” <grin> ISY994. I think this release addresses those questions perfectly. It’s in the works, they’re working with Insteon to have full support. And for those 994 users that want to add i3 now know they will need to upgrade to have support. No more questions and wishful thinking. Well done UDI! Thank you for addressing the i3 support question!

Mea culpa. I missed that part. Good to know Insteon is more helpful than in the past.

And to answer your question, no. I would rather support come out as it is able to like it is now; even though, I have no near-time use for i3 products.

I'm just glad UD support for Insteon is continuing. Especially considering past UDI comments saying they would never go through that again with Insteon. Clearly now, I see things have changed for the better.

Edited by auger66
  • Like 2

Update and yeah I had to redo all my smoke/co detectors. Please don't do that again...

However there is a still the PG3x saying there is an update for 3.1.23 yet Update Packages has not updated PG3x. Been saying that is available for over a week now. 

image.png.8dc9a8c52fb8d86b396415533721822d.png

What's the deal on PG3x?

TRI0N

2 hours ago, TRI0N said:

However there is a still the PG3x saying there is an update for 3.1.23 yet Update Packages has not updated PG3x. Been saying that is available for over a week now. 

This is a new update notification system that @bpwwer has commented on before. I think PG3x sees the update is "out there", but it's being tested (internally) and not available for wide (public) update yet. It's been this way for a few weeks now. No need to update until a release announcement is made (at this point). 

3 hours ago, auger66 said:

Mea culpa. I missed that part. Good to know Insteon is more helpful than in the past.

3 hours ago, auger66 said:

I'm just glad UD support for Insteon is continuing. Especially considering past UDI comments saying they would never go through that again with Insteon. Clearly now, I see things have changed for the better.

👍 

I'm with you!  That's why I was so glad to see the line about them working with Insteon to get full support. It's fantastic news. I know from watching the "Lunch with Insteon" (or whatever they call it) that Insteon does want to work with 3rd parties and it's great that UDI is open to working with Insteon. I think UDI was always open to working with Insteon, but the old Insteon wasn't willing to work with UDI. It has to be cooperation so the consumers win. 

• Like 1
On 3/7/2023 at 4:59 PM, mmb said:

I wish they would get the beep messaging corrected. Is it 4 beeps, 4+1 beeps, but I count 5+1...

Easy update, working perfectly, zero issues.

I always have 5+1 beeps but my commenting goes unanswered.

Also, the update instructions for Polisy no longer say to unplug Polisy but rather issue a reboot. However, it still states to Power Up Polisy. I wonder who writes/reads this stuff anyway?

• On Polisy
    • Once completed (4 beeps + 1), click on Admin Console | Polisy System | Reboot
    • If you are using INSTEON, make sure the PLM is connected
    • Power up your Polisy note that initial boot might take a much longer time than normal because udx might want to install missing packages to assist with migration (in the future)
    • Once boot up is complete, Launch Admin Console

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, vbPhil said:

I wonder who writes/reads this stuff anyway?

A technical brain! :) I know Michel has commented in the past that they're coders...not manual writers. 

The instructions also say "(Admin Console | File | Backup IoX )". I've never seen "Backup IoX" as an option. But I understand that "Backup ISY" means the same thing. But, agree...instructions don't directly match the options being discussed. I think somebody else pointed out the "Update Packages" is actually "Upgrade Packages" button. 

As long as the code is right I can deal with little details issues in the instructions...as long as the general instructions are easy to follow and most can figure out what buttons/options are really meant. 

It seems some just enjoy playing in the weeds! :D

• Like 1

I was on IoX 5.5.5 and PG3 3.1.17 - I pushed the update packages button and left the room for a while - not sure about the beeps but it appears IoX is now 5.5.9 and working but PG3 is still at 3.1.17 - do I need to push the button again?

Edit: IoX is not telling me that there are any updates available

Edited by JTsao
18 minutes ago, JTsao said:

I was on IoX 5.5.5 and PG3 3.1.17 - I pushed the update packages button and left the room for a while - not sure about the beeps but it appears IoX is now 5.5.9 and working but PG3 is still at 3.1.17 - do I need to push the button again?

Edit: IoX is not telling me that there are any updates available

Do the update in PG3 itself SYSTEM -RESTART

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Geddy said:

. . .

I think UDI was always open to working with Insteon, but the old Insteon wasn't willing to work with UDI. It has to be cooperation so the consumers win. 

. . .

Definitely. I never understood why Smarthome treated UDI like they did many years ago, especially since UDI was the reason many of us used Insteon at all. 

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, asbril said:

Do the update in PG3 itself SYSTEM -RESTART

@asbril can you help me find where you do the update in PG3 itself? I go through all the clickable areas of PG3 3.1.18 and I don't see where you can update.

PS I don't have any PGs at this point and I haven't migrated from my ISY994.

PG3.thumb.PNG.8f9d6bd24c86daada9d65a833b02dfce.PNG

19 hours ago, BamBamF16 said:

Upgraded from 5.5.5 to 5.5.9.  PG3 should have upgraded from 3.17 to 3.18 but I don't know if it did.  PG3 has not come back since. 

Used AC to update.  Got all the beeps.  Have not been able to log in since.  Can't even find PG3.  I can SSH to policy just fine.

Any thoughts?

I am now in the same situation - I updated to 5.5.9 and everything was working except PG3 didn't update - I did a system->restart in PG3 and now I can't access PG3 - I power cycled the Polisy and still can't get to PG3 - may be opening up another ticket soon - I really dread updating my system in recent months as it has caused a lot of problems and multiple tickets...

11 minutes ago, mmb said:

@asbril can you help me find where you do the update in PG3 itself? I go through all the clickable areas of PG3 3.1.18 and I don't see where you can update.

PS I don't have any PGs at this point and I haven't migrated from my ISY994.

PG3.thumb.PNG.8f9d6bd24c86daada9d65a833b02dfce.PNG

image.png.1f0dbcbad33ae50464bfc0c58c1b7e69.png

Restart Polyglot 3x

48 minutes ago, mmb said:

can you help me find where you do the update in PG3 itself? I go through all the clickable areas of PG3 3.1.18 and I don't see where you can update.

I think the option to update/upgrade PG3 inside of the PG3 dashboard was removed in a past PG3 (Polisy) update. Currently the only way to update PG3 is through admin console "Upgrade Packages" button. What @asbril was implying was just the restart PG3 option (what he supplied in the screenshot above). 

In the past the PG3 update needed a reboot of PG3 for things to come back online and load correctly. It would alert you in the footer of the dashboard that PG3 needed to be restarted. Rebooting/restarting is still the case, but think UDI has adjusted the code in IoX Admin Console to give you the steps needed to complete the update.  

• Like 2

OK - I got everything working - after the initial update, IoX was not indicating any further updates required but PG3 was at 3.1.17 - did restart from PG3 web page and could not access PG3, tried sudo service pg3 restart and still could not access, tried power cycle and still could not access, then tried another update from IoX (even though it was not indicating updates available) and I think that fixed it

3 minutes ago, JTsao said:

I think that fixed it

Since you're on Polisy is your PG3 version now 3.1.18? That's the latest release. Should be what was updated in the process. Glad it seems working again.

Might still be of value to submit a ticket to UDI for record of what happened (Save your error log now if you randomly clear it from time to time!). Since they're so focused on fixing things that are being reported via support tickets they might miss some of the details in these threads and not realize something went wrong.

3 minutes ago, Geddy said:

Since you're on Polisy is your PG3 version now 3.1.18? That's the latest release. Should be what was updated in the process. Glad it seems working again.

Might still be of value to submit a ticket to UDI for record of what happened (Save your error log now if you randomly clear it from time to time!). Since they're so focused on fixing things that are being reported via support tickets they might miss some of the details in these threads and not realize something went wrong.

Yes, my Polisy is on 3.1.18 now - I also have an eISY/ZMatter (for future migration) and it updated IoX/PG3x with no apparent issues

• Like 1
A technical brain! default_smile.png I know Michel has commented in the past that they're coders...not manual writers. 
The instructions also say "(Admin Console | File | Backup IoX )". I've never seen "Backup IoX" as an option. But I understand that "Backup ISY" means the same thing. But, agree...instructions don't directly match the options being discussed. I think somebody else pointed out the "Update Packages" is actually "Upgrade Packages" button. 
As long as the code is right I can deal with little details issues in the instructions...as long as the general instructions are easy to follow and most can figure out what buttons/options are really meant. 
It seems some just enjoy playing in the weeds! default_biggrin.png
The instruction is in the code and it disagrees with the actual code. It may cause people factory reset their ISYs when it doesn't report as stated in the code.

For the 5 .inured it takes to correct this it may avoid days of co fusion from supporting users.

This has become quite usual lately as UDI travels down do many new ventures. The trail of poop is starting to become hurdles.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

@larryllix overall I agree, but I don't like getting lost in the weeds by nitpicking what is typed out. I'd say even the most casual user could understand the instructions as written. Sure, they could be cleaned up a little and matched EXACTLY, and certainly someone could suggest this directly to UDI (there's a great "contact us" link on their website). 

18 minutes ago, larryllix said:

It may cause people factory reset their ISYs when it doesn't report as stated in the code.

How do you jump to the conclusion that the instructions might cause people to "factory reset" their devices? That's quite a huge leap from where the discussion was heading.

21 minutes ago, larryllix said:

For the 5 .inured it takes to correct this it may avoid days of co fusion from supporting users.

Are you alright? Either your keyboard/device is having issues or you might need medical attention. What is "5 .inured"? I can figure out "co fusion" is just a space instead of "n", but...?

I can recall all the 4.x and 5.x updates for ISY994 that seemed to just copy/paste the method for updating and big differences that were sometimes in those instructions or results. Besides, if the instructions were exactly right what would we then be able to discuss on the forums? I mean it's not like there's NOTHING else that needs the attention to detail. So I'm willing to look past a few minor discrepancies in the instructions because I know what to expect. 

2 hours ago, Geddy said:

@larryllix overall I agree, but I don't like getting lost in the weeds by nitpicking what is typed out. I'd say even the most casual user could understand the instructions as written. Sure, they could be cleaned up a little and matched EXACTLY, and certainly someone could suggest this directly to UDI (there's a great "contact us" link on their website). 

How do you jump to the conclusion that the instructions might cause people to "factory reset" their devices? That's quite a huge leap from where the discussion was heading.

Are you alright? Either your keyboard/device is having issues or you might need medical attention. What is "5 .inured"? I can figure out "co fusion" is just a space instead of "n", but...?

I can recall all the 4.x and 5.x updates for ISY994 that seemed to just copy/paste the method for updating and big differences that were sometimes in those instructions or results. Besides, if the instructions were exactly right what would we then be able to discuss on the forums? I mean it's not like there's NOTHING else that needs the attention to detail. So I'm willing to look past a few minor discrepancies in the instructions because I know what to expect. 

Wow! What a text mess. Strange I didn't see that one.

Nice attempt to belittle the complaints. Read the thread title.

The point was, nobody reads the webpage manual instructions to click the update button, and the instructions are given to the user via the code installed in the IoX, same source as the code that beeps the polISY and eISY, not from some website page.

When the code changed to beep six times, the code to tell the user it should beep only 4 times could have been corrected to match. Now this error has been reported a few times for the last few years and yet nothing has been done to correct it. This should have taken less than 5 minutes to correct a piece of text inside IoX and appears to be an error reported many times that has caused a lot of confusion for users attempting to upgrade.

If you are going to report errors via a beep count system it needs to be accurate or at least tended to, when bugs are reported. Otherwise, remove the beep system and stop confusing the users and possibly causing more problems. I don't expect a perfect ISY but it gets a little tiring when bugs persist for 20 and 30 releases that are so easily corrected.

Cripes, many of the bugs still exist from the upgrade to V5, from V4 (remember 5 years ago?). I have already dumped my polisy once due to so many operational bugs and went back to my ISY994. Looking forward, I have given polisy  another chance (code conversion was a bitch) but it may have been a mistake again after many years of "debugging" something that is still less reliable than ISY994 was.

Edited by larryllix
  • Like 2
On 3/7/2023 at 7:09 PM, brians said:

Everything is working, had to clear java cache.

Good thing Java didn't really take off and we are not running many java apps.... would suck to have to re-install ALL java applets each time clearing cache so IoX launcher works ;)

Kinda interesting for you all maybe - I never do the java cache clear thing - after update I simply use the Cloud version of the Admin Console for one day, and on Day 2 the IoX FInder has updated itself to the proper matching version. Not sure how/why exactly but I don't complain! Anyone else's behave like this? You should try it to see if you get the same @brians . Shawn