Daylight Saving

vbPhil
Go to solution Solved by vbPhil,

My Polisy did not adjust to Daylight Saving last night. In fact, the Admin Console time is showing Saturday at 11:39pm. It's actually, Sunday at 7:39am. No where in the World is it still Saturday right now. I wonder what screwed up. IoX version 5.5.9.

image.jpeg.6dbc8acdf5d05a58c995c95c0e729418.jpeg

Edited by vbPhil
added IoX version

I verified Polisy date via SSH and it agrees with the AC, but it is indicating Mountain Standard Time (MST). So, it's doing everything right except it doesn't know about Daylight Time. I notice in the AC that the Daylight Standard checkbox is checked but greyed out. Why would it be greyed out?

[admin@polisy ~]$ date
Sun Mar 12 07:13:11 MST 2023

8 minutes ago, vbPhil said:

I verified Polisy date via SSH and it agrees with the AC, but it is indicating Mountain Standard Time (MST). So, it's doing everything right except it doesn't know about Daylight Time. I notice in the AC that the Daylight Standard checkbox is checked but greyed out. Why would it be greyed out?

[admin@polisy ~]$ date
Sun Mar 12 07:13:11 MST 2023

Mie is greyed out also. I'm guessing here, but I would think it is programmed based on the location setting. Important thing is it is checked.

How about looking in the error log and see if there is anything there?

Afterwards, try rebooting again, now that the date is correct, it might realize the time needs to be updated.

9 minutes ago, DennisC said:

Mie is greyed out also. I'm guessing here, but I would think it is programmed based on the location setting. Important thing is it is checked.

How about looking in the error log and see if there is anything there?

Afterwards, try rebooting again, now that the date is correct, it might realize the time needs to be updated.

Nothing relevant in the log files. Did another Reboot but it's still showing Standard Time. I guess I need to read up on how Unix reconciles time zones.

• Solution
On 3/12/2023 at 8:35 AM, DennisC said:

Sounds like a bug that needs to be reported.

I see the problem. The list of Locations shown when selecting the AC Change Location button is wrong for Albuquerque. It shows the Albuquerque Daylight Saving Rule is America/Phoenix, it should be America/Denver. Phoenix does not change to Daylight Saving. I wonder when that rule was changed. I've never had this problem before.

Update 3-14-2023, UDI contacted and will resolve in the next update.

image.jpeg.68811c92440fecf9c2443ab42a320f5e.jpeg

Edited by vbPhil
added UDI feedback

I am in central BC and did not update time correctly, still an hour behind.

Edit: After fiddling with it for a while, changing location other than my custom one, couple Polisy reboots due to IoX crashing etc. I got it working. Seems unnecessary for a simple DST update.

Edited by brians

@vbPhil Not in ABQ, but have issues this time as well. Time was correct in admin console, but sunrise/sunset were an hour later than expected. Crazy! Didn't notice this until a program didn't trigger that's set for 3 hours after sunset (normally not a problem in ATL), but that made it after midnight (next day) and it didn't trigger. 

Rebooting seemed to get the time back on track. Very strange indeed. In my case I have a "Custom" location set, but it does pick it to be "America/New_York" for Daylight Saving Rule. So it knew what it should be at least. 

• Like 1

I would encourage every user to petition their politicians to stop this DST nonsense. Many locations have.

Just wait until fall, when your ISY has two 1:30 AMs to deal with in the same night. Then what?

What will a program loop that executes every ten minutes do?
What about a program that executes at 1:45 AM do?  2:00 AM?

This will never be working properly for all program logic.

• Like 1

Previously, I posted that both my eisy and Polisy updated based on DST correctly. While that is true, none of my time based programs on Polisy ran on 3/12. They automatically started running on their own at midnight on 3/13.

Time based programs ran correctly on eisy.

Edited by DennisC
Clarified problem was on Polisy only.
27 minutes ago, DennisC said:

Previously, I posted that both my eisy and Polisy updated based on DST correctly. While that is true, none of my time based programs on Polisy ran on 3/12. They automatically started running on their own at midnight on 3/13.

Time based programs ran correctly on eisy.

Same here on my Polisy. I have a program that turns a light on at 9PM every night and then turns it off at sunrise. It's been running fine for years. Last night, 3/12 it never turned on at 9. It says its next run time is 3/13 @ 9. Looks like time based programs took the night off on Polisy.

My Polisy also did not adjust for DST (still on Standard time).  I believe that my programs still ran correctly, but probably wrong by an hour.  I was out for the evening both Sat and Sunday night so didn't notice.  Time zone is set within the admin console to the correct location and the DST box is checked (but greyed out).  In PG3, I see no time settings.  In PG2 I have the location set, but there is no DST setting available.  I don't know anywhere else you might set the time zone.

Do I need to change my location to get the time correct until a fix comes out for this?  Of course changing my location will screw up sunrise/sunset.

Edited by apostolakisl
43 minutes ago, apostolakisl said:

Do I need to change my location to get the time correct until a fix comes out for this?  Of course changing my location will screw up sunrise/sunset.

I would suggest, if you haven't yet, try a shutdown/restart first. If that doesn't work then I don't think there is another option except changing location. You might get luck and find a location close enough that it has the same sunrise/sunset hours.

I would also suggest opening a support ticket with your location information so UD is aware of an issue with your specific location.

I opened a support ticket regarding programs not running until the next day on Polisy.

13 hours ago, Geddy said:

@vbPhil Not in ABQ, but have issues this time as well. Time was correct in admin console, but sunrise/sunset were an hour later than expected. Crazy! Didn't notice this until a program didn't trigger that's set for 3 hours after sunset (normally not a problem in ATL), but that made it after midnight (next day) and it didn't trigger. 

Rebooting seemed to get the time back on track. Very strange indeed. In my case I have a "Custom" location set, but it does pick it to be "America/New_York" for Daylight Saving Rule. So it knew what it should be at least. 

Not sure if this will help but I did clear java cache the night of Spring Forward @ 1 AM. I did not notice time. Clearing Java Cache has gotten so common I literally set up a Stream Deck button to handle it...

20230313_101535.jpg

TRI0N

Edited by TRI0N

While admittedly a work around, for past few years every time change (spring and fall) at 1:59AM my 994 uses a network resource to call a Webswitch script that powers off ISY, waits 2 mins, and powers it back up. Haven't had a problem since, though I'd rather not have to resort to doing this. Hopefully it does get fixed when I move to Polisy/eisy, or because time changes come to an end, at least in North America, an idea that seems to be getting a lot of attention.

Daylight Savings Time Power Cycle

If
        Time is  1:59:00AM
    And (
             $iCal.Month is 11
         And $iCal.Week.of.Month is 1
         And $iCal.Day.of.Week is 7
          Or (
                  $iCal.Month is 3
              And $iCal.Week.of.Month is 2
              And $iCal.Day.of.Week is 7
             )
        )

Then
        Run Program '1-Save All Counters - for reboot' (Then Path)
        Wait  10 seconds
        Resource 'Web Switch Run ISY Polisy and Autelis Power Cycle 2 minutes Script'

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TRI0N said:

Not sure if this will help but I did clear java cache the night of Spring Forward @ 1 AM. I did not notice time. Clearing Java Cache has gotten so common I literally set up a Stream Deck button to handle it...

20230313_101535.jpg

TRI0N

You posting this gave me an idea... would be possible to use a Stream Deck as a super-charged KeypadLinc and run Automations off it. Sure enough... https://github.com/cgiesche/streamdeck-homeassistant.

I think I will order one and run off a small PC or something... can hang it all off the wall, Wife would love ;)

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, brians said:

You posting this gave me an idea... would be possible to use a Stream Deck as a super-charged KeypadLinc and run Automations off it. Sure enough... https://github.com/cgiesche/streamdeck-homeassistant.

I think I will order one and run off a small PC or something... can hang it all off the wall, Wife would love ;)

Oh sure.. Lots of things you can do with these things. You can create custom graphics for the keys, use images, I hear they have a button maker too but I us PS for things. Though I don't use these for my automations I do create my own interfaces and use touchscreen system hooked up with Pi4's on the back of them inside my walls in the main rooms. I'll be posting more about it as I get all data exported and the eye candy work complete. 

About as far as I got playing with eye candy and begun focus on data export and pulling historical data into databases (temps/humidity/etc).
image.thumb.png.679ac6ff754f00a537c4a46d299d4198.png

TRI0N

Edited by TRI0N
  • Like 1