Support Thread for IoX 5.6.3

@Michel Kohanim Nice stuff! Updated eisy from 5.6.2 just fine in a little over 3 minutes to first reboot. System seemed to go offline and/or reconnected the node servers during the process (got alerts on UD Mobile), but when logging into PG3x it showed I needed to reboot so went back to admin console (no notice to reboot) and rebooted. Reboot (button press in admin console) worked as expected. 

NOTE TO OTHERS: Lan access did require java cache clearing and new running of start.jnlp/IoX Launcher (https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp) to have FW/UI match. Didn't try cloud before clearing/reboot steps.

System seemed to come up fine with node servers connected and working. 

Now if I only had zigbee devices to try! :)

16 minutes ago, Geddy said:

Now if I only had zigbee devices to try!

The Zigbee release notice just mentions the ZMatter USB requirement. I'm assuming that my Polisy with the internal ZMatter module supports this ZigBee release as well?

36 minutes ago, Geddy said:

@Michel Kohanim Nice stuff! Updated eisy from 5.6.2 just fine in a little over 3 minutes to first reboot. System seemed to go offline and/or reconnected the node servers during the process (got alerts on UD Mobile), but when logging into PG3x it showed I needed to reboot so went back to admin console (no notice to reboot) and rebooted. Reboot (button press in admin console) worked as expected. 

NOTE TO OTHERS: Lan access did require java cache clearing and new running of start.jnlp/IoX Launcher (https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp) to have FW/UI match. Didn't try cloud before clearing/reboot steps.

Now if I only had zigbee devices to try! :)

I had the exact same experience, required a 2nd reboot in AC for PG3X to come back.

I am using Polisy.

13 minutes ago, vbPhil said:

I'm assuming that my Polisy with the internal ZMatter module supports this ZigBee release as well?

Correct assumption...at least I assume as well. Looks like the internal card is no longer being offered on UDI's store site so maybe they're only selling the USB ZMatter dongle since that would work with Polisy and eisy options without having to open the case for the Polisy. 

Since IoX has always been geared only to Polisy and eisy then I would assume both units would be on this upgrade path and make all ZMatter hardware operational. 

8 minutes ago, brians said:

Any support for wall switches?

Didn't appear to be at least according to the release: https://www.universal-devices.com/zigbee/

And in the announcement post:

On 7/12/2023 at 6:47 PM, Michel Kohanim said:

- ZMatter Zigbee, initial support: on/off lamp, dimmer, and color bulbs

Unless wall switches are considered "modules".

1 minute ago, Geddy said:

Correct assumption...at least I assume as well. Looks like the internal card is no longer being offered on UDI's store site so maybe they're only selling the USB ZMatter dongle since that would work with Polisy and eisy options without having to open the case for the Polisy. 

Since IoX has always been geared only to Polisy and eisy then I would assume both units would be on this upgrade path and make all ZMatter hardware operational. 

Didn't appear to be at least according to the release: https://www.universal-devices.com/zigbee/

And in the announcement post:

Unless wall switches are considered "modules".

I will try later on, I am sure someone else will beat me to this though ;)

I have a couple GE Zigbee switches...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B019HTH2A0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I honestly think Z-Wave Zooz Zen72 are better for few extra $... these GE ones are bigger and don't fit in box as nice, but still work OK.

26 minutes ago, vbPhil said:

The Zigbee release notice just mentions the ZMatter USB requirement. I'm assuming that my Polisy with the internal ZMatter module supports this ZigBee release as well?

Yes I installed on Polisy and works although I am not physically at home yet :)

But I do get the Zigbee menu at top now that I enabled and restarted and it sees controller according to Zigbee Z-Ray...

And to answer my question above, mine is using Channel 26.

Integer  DATA controller.data.defaultRadioChannel = 26 (0x0000001a)

Looks like they chose to put it way high up on the top end which is good for me since my HA Zonoff Zigbee coordinator is channel 11, and my Thread border router in HA is channel 15. So I can run this with no issue.

73c8440578a0e595f53366e14ea2606d632ac70e

Edited by brians
  • Like 1

@vbPhil,

Yes, internal ZMatter is supported.

@TheA2Z,

Currently, light bulbs and plugin modules. But, since all the plumbing is done, support for additional device types is going to be very fast. 

@brians,

Switches and sensors are next.

Everyone else, what Zigbee devices do you use?
Please post to “request” thread:  https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/41569-zigbee-device-support-requests/

With kind regards,
Michel

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@vbPhil,

@TheA2Z,

Currently, light bulbs and plugin modules. But, since all the plumbing is done, support for additional device types is going to be very fast. 

@brians,

With kind regards,
Michel

Motion sensors...

Philips Hue Motion Sensor is probably the best one I tried with reliability and build quality. Current version is SML003

https://www.philips-hue.com/en-us/p/hue-motion-sensor/046677570972

I have tried Aqara P2 but they don't work reliably unless using an Aqara Zigbee Hub, and will drop off the network after a few hours. The only good thing the P2 would have been good for was had a programmable 1-2 sec motion reset time (which is very fast for battery motion), where the Hue is 10 seconds I believe.. but this is not really an issue I found and is irrelevant since they don't work.

For those starting with Zigbee, i recommend getting a couple of these Sonoff S31 since they work good as repeaters, but I have not yet tried with IoX yet so maybe hold off until these are verified working!

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08GKK89QQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by brians
  • Thanks 2

Hi ,

apologize in advance if this is an obvious question I should know the answer to... but I don't

I just received my eisy and the z matter stick (I was previously on an ISY). I had assumed they're already was zigbee broad support as I thought that's what that stick was for. am I mistaken and only just now we starting to get zigby support? a simple clarification would be helpful

Thanks

12 minutes ago, ccclapp said:

Hi ,

apologize in advance if this is an obvious question I should know the answer to... but I don't

I just received my eisy and the z matter stick (I was previously on an ISY). I had assumed they're already was zigbee broad support as I thought that's what that stick was for. am I mistaken and only just now we starting to get zigby support? a simple clarification would be helpful

Thanks

There was no Zigbee support enabled in ZMatter board until today's 5.6.3 release.

Edited by brians
  • Like 1
51 minutes ago, SSS said:

Has anyone tired Phillips Hue devices directly into eisy?

I just tried a spare Philips Hue color 800 bulb that wasn’t ever added to my system before. I put the Polisy Zigbee add device active, screwed in the bulb, and IoX never saw it. I’ve never added a Zigbee device so I guess that’s how you do it. I have Polisy with the ZMatter module internal and the antenna is hooked up. 

2 hours ago, vbPhil said:

I just tried a spare Philips Hue color 800 bulb that wasn’t ever added to my system before. I put the Polisy Zigbee add device active, screwed in the bulb, and IoX never saw it. I’ve never added a Zigbee device so I guess that’s how you do it. I have Polisy with the ZMatter module internal and the antenna is hooked up. 

Zigbee is a basic level protocol and almost every brand uses a different high level protocol. You would need specific driver that understands Hue's protocol and likely a different driver for every brand of device.

4 hours ago, larryllix said:

Zigbee is a basic level protocol and almost every brand uses a different high level protocol. You would need specific driver that understands Hue's protocol and likely a different driver for every brand of device.

Philips Hue bulbs use zigbee and no special protocol. They are a bit tricky since they need to be reset first either using hue bridge, hue remote, but newer bulbs support Bluetooth and simply use the hue phone app to reset.

Other bulbs like sengled I think you just power cycle 5 times to reset and out in pairing mode.  

If UD uses standard bulb commands/messages they should work - I don’t think Hue use any non standard messages for bulb control but specific vendor things like bulb power on mode and effects that are not zigbee standard may need specific handling. For example, on Home Assistant this is handled by a converter if using Zigbee2MQT or a quirk if using ZHA. UD seems like they will be manually adding support over time for common device types, and  popular specific devices and requests. For example most switches have probably all same features and use common messages to turn on/off but some may have non standard features like energy monitoring, or maybe led status control which require special support. 

• Like 1
Now if I only had zigbee devices to try!

Upgraded yesterday afternoon and all running good. Thanks for upgrade steps.
On 7/14/2023 at 3:29 PM, brians said:

What about this water valve controller...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0BVQXKC9F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one and works OK, I am sure people here would find use for these to control outdoor irrigation or other applications.

That's funny. I have that "exact" valve but it is several years old and uses Z-Wave instead. It's been excellent for me, but mine came with much more substantial mounting than that shown. I use it with several Insteon Water Leak Sensors and ISY programs to turn on/off the main water to the entire house. If anyone is curious I can go get a picture of it as I don't recall the brand name it was sold under, but, it was at least 3 years ago. 

On 7/14/2023 at 3:11 PM, Michel Kohanim said:

@vbPhil,

@TheA2Z,

@brians,

With kind regards,
Michel

@Michel Kohanim

Hi & Thank you Michel!!
I've been super eager to integrate colour changing light bulbs (and later strips) into my system.

Can you please comment on what brand/type/model of colour changing lights you expect will work best?

Or perhaps what you guys tested with so far? Are there any that don't work or are problematic?

Thanks!

Shawn

Just about to open a ticket.  Polisy with internal Zmatter board, upgraded from 5.6.2 to 5.6.3 and now the Zwave menu says Zmatter Z-Wave not responding. Node servers work, but all ZWave device queries fail.

Here were my upgrade steps. Did this 2X just in case:

a) upgrade packages, got 5 beeps.

b) clear Java cache

c) download fresh start.jnlp

d) multiple reboots/1 power cycle

Any other suggestions?