Support Thread for IoX 5.7.0

Chris Jahn

On 9/12/2023 at 4:15 PM, dbwarner5 said:

@BONeil having close to  100 programs that are disabled with another dozen or two that vary, so fyi I settled on the following nomenclature for my programs:

-If it should be disabled, I end the program name with LD for Leave Disabled. Example: Deck Lights On LD

-If it can be disabled by another program and sometimes stay in that state I end it with SD for Sometimes Disabled. 

Lastly, I have a startup program that I try to keep in sync with all my LD programs, where the program upon startup, disables all the programs I have labeled LD. 

I got tired years ago of trying to remember things ... lol.

@dbwarner5Another way to solve this is to have one program that disables all programs that should be and one that enables all that should not be disabled.  Or just one that does both.  I know this is a pain when you create new ones as you need to add them to the correct one but once you have these two you can disable or enable all of them with one click.  

I also don't let any programs execute for 15 minutes following a reboot just to make sure the disabled programs don't get enabled by an upgrade.  I have many that have to be disabled since they will just turn on and off a device continuously if they are enabled and completely overload the Polisy.  Also, my program execution will stop if the programs become enabled while the Polisy is executing normally just to be sure.  I also set up a notification if this happens at reboot or during normal execution.  I had issues a few years ago with all programs becoming enabled randomly and it was a life saver when I upgraded to 5.7.4 because there were issues with that upgrade as well. Hope this helps anyone with issues.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, brians said:

Should I do this, is this safe now on Polisy?... Currently on 5.7.0 so hopefully they fixed the rare bricking issue!

Too late to do tonight, maybe will do tomorrow or wait until Monday when UD support is more likely to be available.

image.png.0206b636dbb1976a2e136f76818436fc.png

At least as of a couple of days ago, it didn't actually update the OS, just said it would.

@Chris Jahn also posted an interesting technique for keeping track of disabled programs, run at startup, etc.

My Polisy did perform the OS update, I updated early after the release because I was having an Admin Console issue and support suggested the update. I had to use my text backup file of programs to determine enabled/disabled status and it was very time consuming. I'm going to adopt one of the techniques so I never have to go through that again. 

On 9/11/2023 at 7:42 PM, Chris Jahn said:

Hello everyone,

The fix for disabled programs is now available.  Please run Update Packages from the Configuration section of the Admin Console again.

it may not be known but this issue is NOT resolved.  I have done multiple updates and reboots.

The very odd thing is that it is not happening on every reboot but at least 50%

I do not reboot often but have been having some issues ota updating a particular zooz switch (one works the other won't update with a socket error; different issue or related??.)

Am I alone in this or are others experiencing the disabled program issue on reboot?

Edited by sjenkins
On 9/12/2023 at 6:38 PM, Chris Jahn said:

Hey everyone,

One thing you can always do for enabled programs, or run at startup programs, or just selecting a group of programs in general is to put hashtags in the program comment (nothing special about them being hashtags by the way)

e.g. #Bootup #Enabled

You can then go to the Summary page, do Find/Replace on Raw text, and search for your hash tag.  All the programs containing that hash tag will be selected.   From there you can just right+click on one of the selected programs and choose enable, disable, run at startup or whatever and it will update all the selected programs.

If more convenient you could use #Disabled instead of #Enabled to manage this if most of your programs are enabled.

@Chris Jahn, great idea. Could UDI append #Disabled when a program is saved without the enable box checked? I have > 1100 programs with close to 400 disabled. going through 400 programs to add this hashtag would not be easy.

On 9/17/2023 at 9:02 AM, btreinders said:

my program execution will stop if the programs become enabled while the Polisy is executing normally just to be sure.  I also set up a notification if this happens at reboot or during normal execution.  

Can you please expand on how you did this? 

11 minutes ago, johnnyt said:

@Chris Jahn, great idea. Could UDI append #Disabled when a program is saved without the enable box checked? I have > 1100 programs with close to 400 disabled. going through 400 programs to add this hashtag would not be easy.

I like the idea of searching etc. But I will stick to adding an LD at the end of the program name as to not change the alphabetical order of my programs when looking through them as groups etc. 

@btreinders great ideas... I only keep track of my disabled programs and a have a start up program that runs to disable them. Nothing else can run until that is completed. If needed, I can enable ALL programs, and then run my program that disables all of the programs that should be disabled. There is a danger to that approach of course of loops being created temporarily but with over 1000 programs, it would be a losing battle to try and keep track of all of them.

I like your idea though of checking for enabling of a disabled program and shutting things down. I have had the infinite loop / bog down happen several times due to a program somehow getting enabled when it shouldn't be and it's a tough thing to stop / catch.  

43 minutes ago, johnnyt said:

Can you please expand on how you did this? 

@johnnyt Yes.  Very similar to @dbwarner5above except I don't disable them at startup automatically. I have a program called Stop Execution that is disabled by default.  In that program I set a variable to a 0 and the main folders under My Programs that have disabled programs in them only execute if that variable is a 1.  The if statement needs to be something that happens quite often so I used my pool pump watts variable to trigger it since it changes a quite often.  I have that with some other things as well that change quite often.

I also have a program called Begin that runs at startup and waits 15 minutes before setting that variable to a 1 because  I used to have an issue where just rebooting the old ISY would cause all disabled to become enabled. That must have gotten fixed a while ago.  I didn't use @dbwarner5's method of auto disabling them because I was trying to troubleshoot the issue for UD.  I should just go ahead and disable them all at restart and then only send a notification if they did happen to be enabled.

@dbwarner5Yes, my old ISY would get so bogged down the only way to fix it was a restore of the backup.  :(  Like you I have a lot of programs, over 1800 currently and over 200 disabled by default.

Edited by btreinders
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, sjenkins said:

it may not be known but this issue is NOT resolved.  I have done multiple updates and reboots.

The very odd thing is that it is not happening on every reboot but at least 50%

I do not reboot often but have been having some issues ota updating a particular zooz switch (one works the other won't update with a socket error; different issue or related??.)

Am I alone in this or are others experiencing the disabled program issue on reboot?

I am also seeing all programs disabled after some reboots. It happened immediately after the upgrade that was supposed to have it fixed, and then subsequently after reboots done out of frustration with OTA updates not working. I will post about OTA and Zooz separately, but my problem is with a Zooz ZSE42 Leak Detector (battery operated).

Also, I have notice that on the configuration page, the DHCP IP parameters are no longer displayed. I will submit a ticket about that. This has been a strange update.

image.png.44a8370f8aa0139a26a9aebf8ff0519a.png

1 hour ago, btreinders said:

I used to have an issue where just rebooting the old ISY would cause all disabled to become enabled. That must have gotten fixed a while ago.

it's happening now. others have reported it with this upgrade. did not see it in ISY myself but it happened to me a few weeks ago not long after upgrading to 5.6.4. had no choice but to restore a 3 day old backup because trying to figure out what ~400 of 1100 programs were disabled would have taking way too long. This caused me to lose a bunch of changes but more impactfully, it caused loss of data in variables that track usage of various things. (UDI is thankfully considering option for not restoring variables when doing a restore.)

13 minutes ago, johnnyt said:

it's happening now. others have reported it with this upgrade. did not see it in ISY myself but it happened to me a few weeks ago not long after upgrading to 5.6.4. had no choice but to restore a 3 day old backup because trying to figure out what ~400 of 1100 programs were disabled would have taking way too long. This caused me to lose a bunch of changes but more impactfully, it caused loss of data in variables that track usage of various things. (UDI is thankfully considering option for not restoring variables when doing a restore.)

@johnnytHuh, I just thought the upgrade caused it.  I saw it happen during the 5.6.4 upgrade but it never happened again during reboots for me anyway.  Good to know.  I think my way of fixing works the best and is just one click and you are good again.  Manually doing a find on all hash tags and then manually disabling them would take a long time in my case.  Just have to remember to add any news ones to the program.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RRalston said:

Also, I have notice that on the configuration page, the DHCP IP parameters are no longer displayed. I will submit a ticket about that. This has been a strange update.

Hasn't this always been the case since 5.x (something) on Polisy and eisy? It's been defaulted to "Automatic DHCP" since the eisy was released and if not from release of the Polisy a very early IoP update probably set it to where this was unavailable. UDI does not want the devices to be set to static IP on the device anymore (too many support tickets with old ISY99/ISY994) that it was removed from Polisy/eisy settings, but the boxes are still there. Just never populated. 

17 minutes ago, mmb said:

I'm impressed the ISY could run that many programs.

Must be challenging to manage.

The ISY (994i) can't run more than 1000 programs. Needs to be Polisy or eisy. The latter also have a deeper event queue. Reboots were problematic for me on 994i starting around 800 programs or so with a frequently blown event queue. Had to jump thru hoops to stagger things and minimize the losses at startup and could never completely eliminate problems. All better now (on Polisy). No more complex startup programming.

I could probably start to use tags like Chris suggested on top of using folders to help me manage/find things. I do often ask myself "where did I put that set of programs again?"

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RRalston said:

I am also seeing all programs disabled after some reboots. It happened immediately after the upgrade that was supposed to have it fixed, and then subsequently after reboots done out of frustration with OTA updates not working. I will post about OTA and Zooz separately, but my problem is with a Zooz ZSE42 Leak Detector (battery operated).

image.png.44a8370f8aa0139a26a9aebf8ff0519a.png

@RRalstonDon't bother submitting a ticket.  They disabled manual IP on purpose.  I can give you the instructions they gave me on how to enable it manually but the disclosure was they would not support any issues I'd run into.  I gave in and changed my router to supply addresses 99 - 255 instead of 150 - 255 like I had, just took some finagling of other devices first.  Then I could have the router set a static IP.  I always used 99 for the ISY and had many devices, programs, apps etc that would have had to change to a new IP.

4 minutes ago, johnnyt said:

The ISY (994i) can't run more than 1000 programs. Needs to be Polisy or eisy. The latter also have a deeper event queue. Reboots were problematic for me on 994i starting around 800 programs or so with a frequently blown event queue. Had to jump thru hoops to stagger things and minimize the losses at startup and could never completely eliminate problems. All better now (on Polisy). No more complex startup programming.

I could probably start to use tags like Chris suggested on top of using folders to help me manage/find things. I do often ask myself "where did I put that set of programs again?"

@johnnytThat is what I used to think too but my old ISY Pro definitely ran more than 1000 programs, I'd say I had at least 1200 or more then.  The only issue I ever noticed was you definitely had to change the java memory to 1024 or whatever it was or the AC would not run at all.  Although now that I think about it I did have issues rebooting sometimes.  I unchecked query at startup and that seemed to help.  But yes, all better on the Polisy for sure.

Edited by btreinders
2 hours ago, btreinders said:

@RRalstonDon't bother submitting a ticket.  They disabled manual IP on purpose.  I can give you the instructions they gave me on how to enable it manually but the disclosure was they would not support any issues I'd run into.  I gave in and changed my router to supply addresses 99 - 255 instead of 150 - 255 like I had, just took some finagling of other devices first.  Then I could have the router set a static IP.  I always used 99 for the ISY and had many devices, programs, apps etc that would have had to change to a new IP.

I think everyone is misunderstanding my post about DHCP. I am well aware it now defaults to DHCP and is not intended to be changed to static. I have a reservation to meet that need.

If you look again at the picture I posted, you will see the IP Address acquired is 0.0.0.0. It should show the DHCP assigned address.

Support has confirmed and indicated the fix will be released, possibly tonight.

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, RRalston said:

If you look again at the picture I posted, you will see the IP Address acquired is 0.0.0.0. It should show the DHCP assigned address.

Support has confirmed and indicated the fix will be released, possibly tonight.

@RRalston gotcha! I haven't looked at that section in ages to know if it ever showed the current IP or not. I thought since it wasn't an editable option that it just defaulted to 0.0.0.0.  I looked at an older OS running on an old Polisy and it reads 0.0.0.0. So thought that's always been the case and never occurred that it needed to be "fixed". 

3 minutes ago, Geddy said:

I looked at an older OS running on an old Polisy and it reads 0.0.0.0. So thought that's always been the case and never occurred that it needed to be "fixed". 

I have an older Polisy but up-to-date OS/IOX and mine is showing correctly.

Capture.PNG.7c814baa9cb480f46508b1b547b06cf9.PNG

• Thanks 1

New issue noticed after upgrade:

Seems my static IP on the Eisy is missing, and it is set for DHCP.

All works fine, and the finder discovers the Eisy, but I cannot turn off DHCP and re-code it with the IP I prefer it to have.

I added a reservation in the router, and while it gets the IP i want it to have, it does not show in the configuration...  

Just FYI - it is fully operational.

Edited by JBoettcher
On 9/17/2023 at 6:21 PM, brians said:

Ya I just updated to update to latest PG3x (which went good surprisingly), and it did not update the OS, still at 13.1.

I have the same issue: I updated packages to 5.7.0 via the AC.   In SSH uname -a still reports OS as 13.1  The SSH banner also reports version 13.1