Support Thread for IoX 5.7.0

Chris Jahn

On 9/18/2023 at 2:55 PM, sjenkins said:

it may not be known but this issue is NOT resolved.  I have done multiple updates and reboots.

The very odd thing is that it is not happening on every reboot but at least 50%

I do not reboot often but have been having some issues ota updating a particular zooz switch (one works the other won't update with a socket error; different issue or related??.)

Am I alone in this or are others experiencing the disabled program issue on reboot?

You are not alone.  I continue to experience this, with 100% of programs being disabled on 100% of reboots. I am actively working through it with support and am hoping a resolution will be found.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, jaydrosy said:

You are not alone.  I continue to experience this, with 100% of programs being disabled on 100% of reboots. I am actively working through it with support and am hoping a resolution will be found.

Just upgraded against my better judgement and yup, all programs disable every reboot.  Wish I had seen your post @jaydrosybefore I did it.  I opened a ticket as well.  One thing I noticed was there was a 5.7.1 and 5.7.2 available as selections for the current firmware in opening a ticket.  That seems strange since there isn't anything in the forum about those later versions.  Or is that just to future proof the ticket submission for a few versions?

• Like 1

@Chris Jahnwas able to fix the issue for me.  Here is what worked.  Had to enable all and then disable all the ones that should have been.

@Chris Jahnwrote

Hi Brent,

Can you please do this from ssh:

sudo mv /var/isy/FILES/CONF/ENABLED.D2D ~

Restart IoX

All your programs should be enabled at this point

from ssh:

ls -lt /var/isy/FILES/CONF/ENABLED.D2D

Post result here

@btreindersI had to sudo the ls command or it would say permission denied and it did not find the file.

@Chris Jahnwrote

Ok, now disable a few programs using the Admin Console and do the following (this time it should exist)

sudo ls -lt /var/isy/FILES/CONF/ENABLED.D2D

sudo cat /var/isy/FILES/CONF/ENABLED.D2D

Restart IoX and see if programs are enabled/disabled as they were prior to restart.

Hope this helps others get their reboot issue fixed.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, btreinders said:

@Chris Jahnwas able to fix the issue for me.  Here is what worked.  Had to enable all and then disable all the ones that should have been.

The thing that may have actually fixed it was the first step of removing the existing /var/isy/FILES/CONF/ENABLED.D2D file (well, actually moving it so essentially deleting it), then restarting IoX, and then re-enabling the programs again.

• Thanks 3
10 hours ago, Chris Jahn said:

The thing that may have actually fixed it was the first step of removing the existing /var/isy/FILES/CONF/ENABLED.D2D file (well, actually moving it so essentially deleting it), then restarting IoX, and then re-enabling the programs again.

thanks to @Chris Jahn & @btreinders !

Chris you are right the first statement was the winner.

1. ssh into eisy

2. sudo mv /var/isy/FILES/CONF/ENABLED.D2D ~

3. reboot now

4. through admin search for and disable the appropriate programs

5. reboot from admin.

6. sigh with relief 

Thanks to all !!

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, oskrypuch said:

Is the last 5.6.x version still available to upgrade to?

That's not the way UDI is pushing updates these days. There's not a way to cherry pick which OS you want to go to. You press the upgrade packages button and you get the current version that is available. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Athlon said:

Updated to 5.7.0 this morning - no issues. (Polisy)

All programs kept their enabled or disabled status.

Was about to say the same, except shortly after the reboot following the update I noticed all programs disabled. Not a problem for me because all programs except 4 were originally enabled, but I haven't yet checked to see if the re-enabling survives a restart.

On 9/21/2023 at 5:58 AM, sjenkins said:

1. ssh into eisy

3. reboot now

5. reboot from admin.

6. sigh with relief 

Thanks to all !!

I have 60 disabled programs so going thru and finding them all is very painful.  I just upgraded to 5.7.0 last night and all programs were disabled, so I restored my previous backup.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Jimbo.Automates said:

I have 60 disabled programs so going thru and finding them all is very painful.  I just upgraded to 5.7.0 last night and all programs were disabled, so I restored my previous backup.

I have been commenting all my disabled programs in the "IF" sections, when disabled permanently. I have been through this previously when all programs became enabled, and it took a few months to debug some of the programs enabled that shouldn't have been.

It was also requested to have the disabled flag/checkbox displayed in each program many years ago. That may not have helped this situation though.

• Like 1

Hopefully I dont jinx myself, but when I run these upgrade packages once a week I do the following and it has worked like a charm.

1. Turn on log screen so I can see what happens:
    1.   Open Windows CMD prompt
      1) ssh admin@YourIPHere
      2) pw.  Admin if you never changed it.
      3) sudo tail -f /var/udx/logs/log
  2. In Admin console, run Upgrade Packages.  Watch the activity in the log.  At the end, in the log, it will say reboot.  I dont reboot when Admin screen says reboot as there is still activity in the log.
  3. Go into Java console and Delete all temporary internet files.
  4. Download the lastest IoX Start Java download.
  5. Open Admin console.  open Log again, step 1 above.
  6. Run the Upgrade packages.  Sometimes additional items get installed that were not upgraded the first time.
  7. Reboot when Log says to reboot
  8. At this point, on the eisy box, i hit the power button 5 times.  This shutsdown the eisy box.  When power button is red, I pull the power plug out for 30 sec then plug back in.
  9. Once powered back up, I go into Pg3 console and reinstall all node servers.

Its worked every time for me.  No issues on this Upgrade.

Edited by TheA2Z
  • Like 1
On 9/22/2023 at 8:03 PM, Jimbo.Automates said:

Hi @Jimbo.Automates,

With all due respect.... knowing this is a possibility from pre-reading this thread as you eluded to - I simply took a few screenshots of my Programs-Details list which shows if each program is enabled or not with the little circle and slash, then after the update simply run down the list enabling those as shown on your screenshot. Even with hundreds of programs this would not take very long. 

Inconvenient? Yes, but knowing it could happen means it need only take a few minutes of precaution, whereas re-installing backups seems a higher risk to me. 

Anyways - thought I could help simplify things for some. 

Shawn

2023-09-25_16-00-54.jpg

On 9/22/2023 at 8:03 PM, Jimbo.Automates said:

The number of issues with updates this year has been high, and 5.7.0 is no exception. Yes, there has been a huge amount of function rollout this year, so issues are expected. What is frustrating is that communication about those issues is not crisp. Case in point, the enable/disable issue was advertised as fixed, but apparently does not seem to be so. I'm a long term user and supporter of UD, but communication could and should be better.  I absolutely continue to support UD, but I also support users who voice legitimate concerns.

• Like 2
On 9/21/2023 at 8:58 AM, sjenkins said:

1. ssh into eisy

3. reboot now

5. reboot from admin.

6. sigh with relief 

Thanks to all !!

Great collaboration here.  Thank you @sjenkins for posting this.  I followed your recipe and after two reboots have not had any further disabling of programs.  Hopefully this is the end of it!

@Chris Jahn thank you also for your support on my ticket on this.

17 hours ago, bgrubb1 said:

is the disabled programs fixed in next upgrade before I attempt and go through this ?

Am not sure if it is "fixed", but I just did the upgrade w/o any problems. Beeps were off, but when asked to reboot via the AC, I did so and all is fine. To connect again, I did the usual clear java cache and downloaded new AC from https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp.  Loaded just fine. 

I do have a program that runs at every restart that manually disables all my disabled programs (lesson learned long ago to avoid any unintended infinite loops) so I dont know for sure if they loaded correctly or not or were "fixed" via this startup program. 

I also go to http://polisyaddress:8080/admin.jnlp and download the local file as getting to the AC directly this way is much faster and there is never a "isy didnt load" issue in the launcher. 

Cheers.

12 hours ago, KSaccullo01 said:

dbwarner5, How do you test for a startup?

Kevin

As mentioned above, in the summary tab under programs, there is a column where you can toggle to run a program at startup. I have a variable called Startup that a program sets to 1 upon startup. That then disables most folders that aren't needed immediately, while enabling a "startup" folder where I run key programs that I need for startup. 

For example, a tests for the thermostat settings is run, outside lighting tested etc, I reset programs that I use to enable / disable items such as driveway alerts, sprinklers etc. There is also one program that lists (requires diligence to keep it up to date) all my programs that should be disabled and disables them all just to be sure. 

After everything has run that I feel needs to run, the startup toggle is switched back to 0 and the Startup folder becomes disabled while all other folders that were temporary disabled become enabled. 

I have learned to do this through the years due to times where I have accidentally created infinite loops etc or had thermostats at the wrong setting after a power failure etc. 

For ease of finding my programs, I append a LD on the end of the program's name to designate Leave Disabled. This doesn't mess up the alphabetical order of my programs but makes them easy to find in the summary tab. See screen shot below.

image.thumb.jpeg.979f5e956f44fa606f096f5ca5cbb9ff.jpeg

• Like 1
On 9/25/2023 at 11:29 AM, Beaker said:

Greetings...

Any status update on the polisy OS update to 13.2?

Cheers,
Ken.

I just updated my Polisy this morning to update PG3x to 3.2.8, and it also shows 13.2 now. Only took about 10 minutes.

[admin@polisy ~]$ uname -a
FreeBSD polisy 13.2-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE-p1 releng/13.2-n254621-08b87f63a046 POLISY amd64