new pg3x migration, won't login (service not available)

Posted (edited)

Did just reboot the Polisy, due to the time shift bug, and also had a power cycle when I was restructuring some of the cabling, both this weekend.

Can give it another try, but not too optimistic.

Is there a way to force a restart of that service, by SSHing in?

This is a new migration, I have never accessed the PG3 or PG3x service on this Polisy.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch
11 hours ago, oskrypuch said:

This is a new migration, I have never accessed the PG3 or PG3x service on this Polisy.

When did you update to PG3x? And I know you said you did a power cycle recently, but there was a post from @bmercier that the 503 error was from UDX not running. The best way to trigger that is a full power cycle.

If you recently updated to PG3x it's quite possible something was stuck in the update when power got pulled last time.

Try running the update packages process in Admin Console. (I know this isn't anything to do with PG3->PG3x, but can "cleanup" other functions)

If you have UD Mobile connected to that device you should get alerts for it going offline and coming back online and probably even time to reboot. Wait about 2-3 minutes after that reboot notification then use the multi function button to shutdown (three presses). I forget if Polisy shows lights when it's shutdown or not. Then pull the power supply, wait 30-60 seconds and power it back on. Allow several minutes for the device to start up and settle. Should hear some beeps, but also monitor the front lights if you have it in an area you can see the front of the device.

If after this still cannot access it I would suggest opening a support ticket. 

https://www.universal-devices.com/my-tickets

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

This is a brand new out of the box Polisy (sat for a bit), that I reflashed/updated with @Michel Kohanim directions. Then I restored some programming from a 994 that is being taken out of service, this is a secondary unit at my vacation property.

Then, followed that with the PG3 to PG3x enabling. I don't have any nodes on this unit.

This is all in the last week.

@Geddy Will take the steps suggested, next time I'm up there, should be within the week.

Thanks.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch
Posted (edited)

@Geddy, well mixed results.

As suggested ...

Commanded an update from the AC. Although the cursor showed non-responsiveness for a bit over the AC, nothing happened. No shutdown, no reboot.

Then I tried three pushes of the multi-function, nothing at all happened, and the Polisy continued normal ops.

Tried it once more, again no operational change.

Finally I tried a power cycle. Of course that closed the Polisy down, but then it became non-responsive. No network connection on attempted restart. I had removed the outer cover, so I could accurately contact the mini-switch.

Waited a bit, then tried three pokes of the m-s again. Nothing.

So, last thing to try, pulled the power, and waited a bit, then repowered. The unit would not resume operation. I had removed the outer cover, so was familiar with the expected flashes on the mobo. They were not proceeding.

I was fearing the thing was bricked.

Tried another power cycle, again nothing.

OK, one more time, this time I got a single beep almost immediately on power up, but unit remained non-responsive.

OK, one last time, did yet another power cycle. This time, it booted normally, I immediately recognized the "normal" power cycle by the mobo LEDs.

Finally, it was running, and does appear that PG3x is now accessible as well.

BUT, just wondering, is this to be expected as a normal kind of miasma for a simple update on the Polisy? Really makes you think twice about updating!

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch
12 hours ago, oskrypuch said:

BUT, just wondering, is this to be expected as a normal kind of miasma for a simple update on the Polisy? Really makes you think twice about updating!

No, what you describe is not normal. Could possibly be a bad power supply (that would be odd though since you said this is a "new" device) or the device could have been updating even though you waited a while before pressing buttons and pulling power it still could have been in the middle of an update and then was getting hung with each subsequent power pull.

Since you said this was a new "out of the box" unit, but it might be "old" (not shipped within the last 6-12 months?). There would have been a lot of code to update if it was old. No telling how long it should have taken. The part about starting the update through admin console should ultimately give you a pop-up that updates are complete (see the screen shots in this post for alerts seen on admin console). Also, if you're running UD Mobile and connected to this device on your portal account it usually sends notifications of the update as well (that they start and complete). But I don't have 2 devices so I'm not sure how alerts work for multiple devices. 

If might still do you some good to open a ticket with UD Support and see if somebody can review the logs from a (current) power cycle to see if something is messed up in the start up process. I suggest current since logs are rotated at midnight so unless you're good with getting in with SSH the current log wouldn't have any of the power cycles that happened before today. 

Posted (edited)

This unit was new out of the box (but on the shelf for bit), and I already reflashed the image with Michel's help, updates fully done (or so I thought), was running 5.8.0, and even PG3 -> PG3x enabled -- although that never took for whatever reason, hence this thread.

I was initially having trouble with accessing it, with the included PS, and substituted a new 12v 3A PS, and that got it going. That was with Michel's suggestion as well. I even tried the old PS, and it stopped booting, so it seemed pretty consistent.

Yes, I never got the popups for the updates this time (can't remember if I did initially), but at the last instance I did get a popup saying that a new PG3x was available when I started up the AC, so something has changed. I declined the update for the moment.

Perhaps it had got into some kind of intermittent state, as you say, and the multiple power cycles finally got it going. Perhaps I didn't wait long enough for the update, but it was at least a few minutes.

I have not tried another three pushes of the m.s. to see if it will reboot. But, it is running now and working, so I'm a bit hesitant to do anything! 😃 

It is also at my vacation property, I'm not up there at the moment, so can't do any further poking around. If it still continues to misbehave, I will open a ticket.

Thanks much for your thoughts and suggestions.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch
  • Like 1