What can Polisy do?

stealle

The Introducing Polisy page describes it, "Polisy is your plug & play polyglot."  That probably says it all if you are a programmer. I'm just the average Joe User that loves home automation because it's suppose to make life easier.  But I'm definitely not a programmer and like most people I want things to be simple and easy to setup.  As much as I love the capabilities of my ISY, I have to scratch my head the couple times a year that I need to add a new device or create a new scene or program. I have to relearn it all over again. If you don't do it often, its not intuitive enough (for me) to just login to the GUI and just do it. 

So, is Polisy going to make any of that easier? And, what all can Polisy do?  The Tesla example on the intro page was helpful to give me ideas. However,  I won't have a Tesla in my immediate future.  I do have a house full of Insteon switches, Echo devices, Ring Cameras, and Schlage Connect locks. What can Polisy do with what I have? Or, what can Polisy do with what I should buy next... short of buying a new Tesla. It seems like a long list of examples would be helpful for people to understand.  I love new toys! I want excuses to buy the new Polisy!

29 minutes ago, stealle said:

The Introducing Polisy page describes it, "Polisy is your plug & play polyglot."  That probably says it all if you are a programmer. I'm just the average Joe User that loves home automation because it's suppose to make life easier.  But I'm definitely not a programmer and like most people I want things to be simple and easy to setup.  As much as I love the capabilities of my ISY, I have to scratch my head the couple times a year that I need to add a new device or create a new scene or program. I have to relearn it all over again. If you don't do it often, its not intuitive enough (for me) to just login to the GUI and just do it. 

So, is Polisy going to make any of that easier? And, what all can Polisy do?  The Tesla example on the intro page was helpful to give me ideas. However,  I won't have a Tesla in my immediate future.  I do have a house full of Insteon switches, Echo devices, Ring Cameras, and Schlage Connect locks. What can Polisy do with what I have? Or, what can Polisy do with what I should buy next... short of buying a new Tesla. It seems like a long list of examples would be helpful for people to understand.  I love new toys! I want excuses to buy the new Polisy!

Polisy combines everything you have to do now to get polyglot and nodes servers up and running into one easy to use package. Instead of you having to configure your own system it comes ready to go. 

From the sound of it, at some point in the future, the isy will be ported to it. Hopefully @Michel Kohanim will be able to chime in whether that is true or not. If it is true, I'm assuming it comes with the zwave board included or allows you to take your existing board and put inside when that time comes.

If you go into the polyglot subforum, you will see plenty of examples of what current users are currently doing as well as some of the different devices it'll allow you to integrate with the isy. 

23 minutes ago, stealle said:

Probably I am hardly more technical than you, but (semi-retired) I have time on my hands. Until about a year ago Raspberry Pi, Polyglot and Nodeservers were way beyond my level of comprehension. However I was pushed by others on this forum and I was given step-by-step guidance. Now I use several nodeservers that give me great satisfaction. The most useful Nodeserver for me is AVRemote that allows me to stream whatever radio station that I want, at different times, at different locations in my home, with programmes using AVRemote with my Chromecast devices. It also allows me to wake up with music and then my favorite TV channel.

Polisy, according to its webpage, allows you to skip the complicated setup of a Raspberry Pi and easily use Nodeservers to add to your Home Automation.

Don't be scared (as I was for a long time) and more than anything don't hesitate to ask for help on this forum.

Polyglot allows ISY to "natively" control/interact with ANY IP enabled device that has a published API.  By "natively" I mean it shows up in your list of devices.  All of this of course requires that someone write the code for the node server, where polyglot is the platform.  It is not unlike the play store where there are a gazillion apps that people have written on the android platform that lets your phone do all sorts of things besides make phone calls.  So far the "polyglot play store" is just a couple dozen "apps" and they are all free.  Hopefully this will catch on and we could get hundreds or even thousands of options, and probably there will be a mechanism for people to get paid for them.

Can someome answer a basic question for me? Will this device allow me to easily capture and use data from cao tags? I have several of these tags and plan on more. I am aware that some heavy coding can be done to accomplish this but its complexity requires far too large a learning curve.

21 minutes ago, smokegrub said:

Can someome answer a basic question for me? Will this device allow me to easily capture and use data from cao tags? I have several of these tags and plan on more. I am aware that some heavy coding can be done to accomplish this but its complexity requires far too large a learning curve.

If there is a current nodeserver for them then yes, as current nodeservers are supposed to be supported. Add @ and whoever from UDI you want to see your post as they would be the ones with the answer.

4 hours ago, smokegrub said:

There's a Polyglot NS for that :)

https://github.com/jimboca/udi-wirelesstag-poly

5 hours ago, simplextech said:

There's a Polyglot NS for that :)

https://github.com/jimboca/udi-wirelesstag-poly

@smokegrub, the nodeserver referenced above works very well.  My guess is the learning curve to make your CAO Tag data available to your ISY will become far less steep when the Polisy is available.  So, in a word, yes.

I think it would be helpful to understand in detail UDI's intent for the future of the ISY and if Polisy is to be the next ISY, along with a very high level timeline. I understand UDI's hesitation in giving timelines, but some future roadmap would be helpful.

While I use nodeserver's, I have no trouble maintaining a Raspberry PI at 2 locations. Would I want to invest in 2 Polisy now, because in the next year or two it will be capable of replacing the ISY, or wait until more is known and loose out on the discount?

6 hours ago, DennisC said:

I think it would be helpful to understand in detail UDI's intent for the future of the ISY and if Polisy is to be the next ISY, along with a very high level timeline. I understand UDI's hesitation in giving timelines, but some future roadmap would be helpful.

While I use nodeserver's, I have no trouble maintaining a Raspberry PI at 2 locations. Would I want to invest in 2 Polisy now, because in the next year or two it will be capable of replacing the ISY, or wait until more is known and loose out on the discount?

If you're already up and running with your system then you can wait to see what happens with polisy. At this point it's obviously for those who want a simply way of setting up and integrating with Polyglot.

Looking at UDIs history, a timeline will not be given regardless of who asks and how much they are asked. They simply won't be pressured into something they don't want to do.

Outside of using polisy for Polyglot, there really is not reason to purchase it for future capabilities when it most likely won't happen within the time you would want it to happen.

Buy it today for what it can do today not for what it may do tomorrow. When it has what you're looking for then that's the time to purchase.

The Intro to Polisy page says Ring is supported. I don’t see a polyglot for that on the list. I need to figure out how to search for them on github. Nothing comes up searching on my phone. Will try again later at home on my laptop. 

Can someone give some examples what i can do by integrating Polisy and Ring to ISY and Insteon?

11 hours ago, Bumbershoot said:

@smokegrub, the nodeserver referenced above works very well.  My guess is the learning curve to make your CAO Tag data available to your ISY will become far less steep when the Polisy is available.  So, in a word, yes.

Thanks. That alone would be sufficient reason for me to buy one.

• 2 weeks later...

One simple question @Michel Kohanim: will it fit into a single RU?  The dimensions listed are 8x8x2, but of course this product will be shipping in October and those numbers seem rounded off quite a bit, possibly from 1.75"?  Currently I have my ISY taking up 1RU on a shelf, and am wondering if I will need a second RU for a Polisy.

All & @Michel Kohanim

I have read pretty much everything that has been advertised or posted about Polisy.  I may have missed something as I still have some simple questions/clarifications:
  The UDI web site says Polisy is "Your gateway to integrating everything and anything with your ISY".  Is Polisy a back end attached device or can it be a total replacement for ISY, or both?
  Does the October unit come with ZWave?
  Does it have an ethernet interface to your LAN as does the ISY?
  What is the intended use of the internal WIFI?
  What are the differences between the Pro and Standard?
  Will the API's (REST, etc.) be the same or do I need to write new code?
  Will my 5.0.14 programming and ZWave configuration be transportable to Polisy?
  What features will not be in the October run?

As always thanks for the assistance.

• 4 months later...
40 minutes ago, Scyto said:

Will many of the node servers only be available in polisy (i.e. you have to to buy the hardware), or does polyglot also get all of them, a store etc too?

Polisy is designed to be a Polyglot platform that comes read-to-go. Meaning you take it out of the box and linux, polyglot and nodelink are there and ready to go with a web config interface. There's no difference in nodeservers, same store, etc. It allows users that don't want to deal with linux, command line, installs, ect. to use V5 and nodeservers.

It also has HW options like BT, io ports. UDI has mentioned that at some point in the future it will be the ISY as well... but this is not there or being tested in the "geek batch"

Paul

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, Samedarkclouds said:

Not to be a nube, but how do I get these from GitHub onto the policy?

From the Polisy web interface there is a "NodeServers" option in the top menu.  Open that and select "NodeServer Store".  You'll be presented with a list of NodeServers you can install.

14 hours ago, simplextech said:

From the Polisy web interface there is a "NodeServers" option in the top menu.  Open that and select "NodeServer Store".  You'll be presented with a list of NodeServers you can install.

Isnt there a way to install ones not in the store? Like from git hub...you know, like the one I’m referencing? In the quote. And in the op topic... 

2 hours ago, Samedarkclouds said:

Isnt there a way to install ones not in the store? Like from git hub...you know, like the one I’m referencing? In the quote. And in the op topic... 

wireless tags is available in the store.

Polisy is made to be an appliance without direct end-user logins.  However If you have one of the earlier geek batch versions (developers received) then you would also have login capabilities to do whatever.  User installed/modified anything is not supported.  Just have to put out that disclaimer.

Otherwise if you sign up for the developer program through UDI I think then you get login access?  I'm not sure @Michel Kohanim would provide much better direction in that regard.

On 10/7/2020 at 4:11 PM, simplextech said:

wireless tags is available in the store.

Polisy is made to be an appliance without direct end-user logins.  However If you have one of the earlier geek batch versions (developers received) then you would also have login capabilities to do whatever.  User installed/modified anything is not supported.  Just have to put out that disclaimer.

Otherwise if you sign up for the developer program through UDI I think then you get login access?  I'm not sure @Michel Kohanim would provide much better direction in that regard.

Ok, But I bought the physical polisy unit because they advertised it as being able to do just that, tinker with and add your own bits "with ease" and now it turns out that all I got was like 4 more poly's in the store than if iI had just kept using the virtual one.... Complete waste. I mean, why are their Git's for the thing if they cant be installed? Who's making git's that have no way to install? Its all nonsense.

7 minutes ago, Samedarkclouds said:

Ok, But I bought the physical polisy unit because they advertised it as being able to do just that, tinker with and add your own bits "with ease" and now it turns out that all I got was like 4 more poly's in the store than if iI had just kept using the virtual one.... Complete waste. I mean, why are their Git's for the thing if they cant be installed? Who's making git's that have no way to install? Its all nonsense.

I don't know what your previous setup was but it may have been either a RPi or Polyglot Cloud. You sound somewhat negative, but you should not be . Polisy is a revolution and we are just at its beginning. I expect that there will be hundreds of nodeservers and supposedly eventually the ISY will be moved to Polisy as well.

99 % of the comments that I have seen on Polisy are very positive and you appear to underestimate the Polisy's potential.

Archived