eisy | home packaging ...

8 minutes ago, jkraus said:

The Polisyt Pro version is just to add wifi to the router.  I have ethernet locally so no need to go Pro, correct?

Correct. I think Pro also has Bluetooth, but not being used at present. 

9 minutes ago, jkraus said:

The ZMatter board is just a super upgraded USB dongle (long range and some other features for easily adding new Zwave devices), correct?

zmatter will add z-wave, zigbee, and eventually matter. There are other updates according to the product page:
https://www.universal-devices.com/product/zmatter-z-wave-matter-module-for-polisy-beta/

11 minutes ago, jkraus said:

I do not have to upgrade to the ZMatter, it would just be if I am having Zwave connection problems, correct?  or are there other major features or necessity to upgrade?

see above, but zmatter is a way to further future proof the Polisy/Polisy Pro. The dongle will also work with upcoming eisy. UDI has said both Polisy/Pro and eisy will continue to be developed in tandem. At least until for the next few years. 

13 minutes ago, jkraus said:

The eisy is just the next version of the Policy box, correct?  Is the Zmatter board or function included?  any reason or necessity to upgrade to the eisy?

Correct. Parts for Polisy are not available so UDI developed a new box (eisy) for future development. Always have to be looking ahead at what might be needed. Personal preference as to the upgrade process.

14 minutes ago, jkraus said:

My current Policy and Zwave USB dongles will not make me obsolete soon?

No, shouldn't at least. "Soon" might be relative though. But doubtful. Only if things change quickly and you replace what you're currently using. 

• Like 3
On 11/18/2022 at 7:34 PM, oskrypuch said:

s that still going to happen, and be available for Polisy users? Will that entail inserting a board inside the Polisy box, or will it now be an external USB connection. I seem to remember (a thousand messages ago) that it was hinted both would be available for the Polisy.

Of course. ZMatter was specifically designed for Polisy and it's internal. We have already made a deal with AARTech and it will be available in Canada within the next couple of weeks.

@ErikN,

Desktop version shall be there. 

With kind regards,
Michel

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

Desktop version shall be there.

Will it be a consolidated desktop version that can perform the configuration functions of the admin console, PG3, and the portal?  I am seeing more and more of these configuration options being added to UD Mobile, which is great.  However, an unified desktop configuration UI would also be wonderful.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, mapeter said:

Will it be a consolidated desktop version that can perform the configuration functions of the admin console, PG3, and the portal?  I am seeing more and more of these configuration options being added to UD Mobile, which is great.  However, an unified desktop configuration UI would also be wonderful.

We hope to have UD Mobile ready for Windows 11 late this year or early next year.  Already available for M1 Macs.

https://developer.amazon.com/apps-and-games/blogs/2022/10/appstore-on-windows11-developer-preview?cmp=US_2022_010_ESM_Windows11-DevPreview&ch=eml&chlast=eml&pub=esm&publast=esm&type=org&typelast=org

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Javi said:

Will it only be available for Win11 or will it be backwards-compatible for Win10 as well? I don't plan on downgrading to 11. I plan on staying with 10. Heck, I'd rather be on Win7 if I could.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
4 hours ago, NFLnut said:

Will it only be available for Win11 or will it be backwards-compatible for Win10 as well? I don't plan on downgrading to 11. I plan on staying with 10. Heck, I'd rather be on Win7 if I could.

After being very apprehensive about another O/S upgrade, in desperation I gave in and went to Win11.  Best thing I have done. Basically it is the same old Win10 but organised into better groupings of thinking.

However, I have always hated this "protected folder" crap they try to pass off as virus protection. It's my system and my computer. I don't need to log-in or give permission to myself to operate it. That doesn't really change between Win7, 10 & 11.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, NFLnut said:

Windows subsystem for Android only available on windows 11 on most devices, but is hardware dependent.

The app currently works with Android emulators, such as Bluestacks, on Windows 10 if your device has specs required.

• Like 1

I have an Intel-based MacBook, so neither option will work for me.  I think some of us were hoping for a responsive web consolidated UI that was served from the Polisy/eISY.  Will the admin console, PG3 and portal UI continue to be maintained, or will they reach end of life once all of the capabilities are integrated into UD Mobile?

May be time to ask Santa for a shiny new M1 Mac :) 

30 minutes ago, mapeter said:

I have an Intel-based MacBook, so neither option will work for me.  I think some of us were hoping for a responsive web consolidated UI that was served from the Polisy/eISY.  Will the admin console, PG3 and portal UI continue to be maintained, or will they reach end of life once all of the capabilities are integrated into UD Mobile?

May be time to ask Santa for a shiny new M1 Mac :) 

At this time UD Mobile can not replace any of these user interfaces, so they will likely be around for some time.  The issue with web interfaces is permissions requirements and hardware access which has become difficult/impossible, especially with Apple devices.  So, while I don't make the decisions, I think native mobile applications will be needed to ask users/apple for permissions and access hardware features.  

Example: During onboarding we need to find the ISY on your local network. We need both permission from both Apple  and the user.  While some of this could be done from the web, it is becoming more difficult with some other permissions impossible to obtain.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, larryllix said:

After being very apprehensive about another O/S upgrade, in desperation I gave in and went to Win11.  Best thing I have done. Basically it is the same old Win10 but organised into better groupings of thinking.

However, I have always hated this "protected folder" crap they try to pass off as virus protection. It's my system and my computer. I don't need to log-in or give permission to myself to operate it. That doesn't really change between Win7, 10 & 11.

I'm more concerned about the "rent forever" aspect which M$ is pushing even harder with 11 than 10. I know it's an uphill battle and eventually I'll have to agree to The Borg's policy with their OS. Maybe by then I'll have fully transitioned to Linux.

Now, the "need" for 11 to run Android apps is another issue. But I do have an installation of BlueStacks although it's not OS integrated and it's (IMO) a dreadful piece of software.

• Like 1

So there's a good chance that I will likely pull the trigger and get an eisy.  Currently have an 944i with Z-Wave and an Insteon PLM.

I've seen other posts indicating that the eisy will support Insteon PLM, BUT, via the standard serial cable.  My PLM is connected via the Cat5 serial cable.  Does anyone know exactly what the pin-out is for the RJ45-to-DB9 required to support the Insteon PLM with eisy?  I have some laying around, but they're for an old Cisco and HP switch, and I believe they both use custom pinouts, because, of course they do.

Anyway, trying to plan and see everything I'm going to need for a seamless transition.  From what I can tell that's going to be an eisy, a ZMatter board, and the serial cable.  The serial cable is the only unknown right now.

Another question...  Is the ZMatter board going to fit internally inside the eisy?  No offense, but that sleek box with the images of the ZMatter USB hanging off it were... underwhelming.  I'm hoping there's an internal option.

Thanks all!

@JSylvia007

If you have the original DB9 cable that shipped with the 2413S PLM then you need one of these (serial to USB converter) as the eisy uses an USB interface. You could also use the Insteon USB PLM which should be available for purchase from Insteon Q1 2023:

USB 2.0 to Serial (9-Pin) DB-9 RS-232 Adapter Cable 6ft Cable - Sabrent

The Zmatter board for the eisy is contained in an external enclosure that connects to the eisy via a USB port on the eisy

Edited by Techman
  • Like 1
35 minutes ago, JSylvia007 said:

So there's a good chance that I will likely pull the trigger and get an eisy.  Currently have an 944i with Z-Wave and an Insteon PLM.

I've seen other posts indicating that the eisy will support Insteon PLM, BUT, via the standard serial cable.  My PLM is connected via the Cat5 serial cable.  Does anyone know exactly what the pin-out is for the RJ45-to-DB9 required to support the Insteon PLM with eisy?  I have some laying around, but they're for an old Cisco and HP switch, and I believe they both use custom pinouts, because, of course they do.

Anyway, trying to plan and see everything I'm going to need for a seamless transition.  From what I can tell that's going to be an eisy, a ZMatter board, and the serial cable.  The serial cable is the only unknown right now.

Another question...  Is the ZMatter board going to fit internally inside the eisy?  No offense, but that sleek box with the images of the ZMatter USB hanging off it were... underwhelming.  I'm hoping there's an internal option.

Thanks all!

If you Google the 2413s owners manual, you'll find the pin out there which will allow you to make your own (if you don't have the cable). 

On the first page of this post (and other locations on this post), Michel stated the board would be USB with eisy. 

I just got the shipping email for the new ZMatter board (yeah...........) and I printed the instructions.

It says that the migration from Zooz 700 dongle to the board  is as easy as backup / restore but it includes this picture :

What should we do with the version as in this picture ?

Choose-Between-Versions.webp

Edited by asbril
1 hour ago, Techman said:

If you have the original DB9 cable that shipped with the 2413S PLM

Mine didn't come with a DB9 cable.  It came only with a Cat5 cable.  It was purchased directly though UDI.

Copy on the USB-Serial converter.  Now I need to find another converter for CAT5 to DB9.  

1 hour ago, lilyoyo1 said:

If you Google the 2413s owners manual, you'll find the pin out there which will allow you to make your own (if you don't have the cable). 

I will give this a go...

1 hour ago, lilyoyo1 said:

On the first page of this post (and other locations on this post), Michel stated the board would be USB with eisy.

This is unfortunate, because it's ugly as hell that way.

@JSylvia007

It may be a while before the eisy is available. By then the USB PLMs should be available from the Insteon store:

USB Modem Interface (PLM) – Insteon

Click on "notify me when available"  

This would be your path of less resistance.

By having the matter board in an external enclosure, it allows one to position it away from other electronics and allows the antennas to be free of obstructions thus giving you the best RF coverage

So here's the manual... The connector specification isn't very clear at all actually, but this post on the forums seems to be:

Given that, I think what I'm reading based on the manual and the post is this:

• Pin 1 on RJ45 <--> DB9 Pin 2 (RS232 (Rx))
  • Pin 8 on RJ45 <--> DB9 Pin 3 (RS232 (Tx))
  • Pin 7: Common ground -- Don't know where the ground goes...

Users-Manual-1070354.pdf 2413Sqs-en.pdf

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Techman said:

This would be your path of less resistance.

Possibly...  Doesn't this mean that ALL Insteon devices would need to be re-added and re-linked and all scenes would need to be re-created, because all that linking information is stored in the PLM?  

@asbril, everyone will be sent complete and comprehensive instructions for migration. 

@oskrypuch, you don't have to use UD Mobile for programming. As @Javimentioned, getting permissions from your computer + user to search the network + a web page that's not backed by a CA signed cert is extremely difficult with regular web-based interface. That's why we have still kept Java and Admin Console because it's an app and not a webpage. 

With kind regards,
Michel

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1