Insteon product availability

MrBill

btw, holiday lights are one place where Insteon (or even X10!) shines (pardon the pun).  Plug in the modules, enable the programs you disabled in January, and away you go!  No network to heal.  Bliss.

Unless you have powerline noise.  Oh, and LED holiday lights never go entirely off.  You need a dummy load.  And...

Anyway, Insteon rules.  Again.

-Tom

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, MrBill said:

Paging @larryllix

...and UD has made some arrangements there also. I see none of it on the aartech.ca website yet but I am sure it will come. Likely a little too late for me as I am downsizing a lot and have boxes of things I will likely never get to use again.

I have run out of receptacles. Maybe Insteon will put out a wireless receptacle? :)

Does the new on/off switchlinc work with the older switches?

https://shop.insteon.com/products/on-off-switch

The fact that this new one only has 2 leds for on/off worries me that it may not work correctly. All the old on/off switches still had the full led array for level since they can and are often used as remote dimmers for the switches actually carrying the loads.

On 11/5/2022 at 7:48 PM, Techman said:

There's really no need for the extra leds. There's only two options, on or off. I doubt they will go back.

That's not true.

On 11/6/2022 at 6:12 AM, Brian H said:

There where no extra LED's in the 2476S and I believe the 2477S also. Just the bar graph positions filled with  light pipes that didn't light.

I saw a Smarthome bulletin on the new face plate design and it indicated those that wanted to have the new ones match their originals. With all the LED positions. You could change the assembly to the older ones. You could purchase as an accessory assembly. As they both fit just the new ones eliminated the unused LED positions.

All of my existing on/off switchlincs have 9 leds. They're not just holes.

It appears shipping is flat. 1 switch all the way up to 8 switches $8.78 for shipping.

1 hour ago, sorka said:

It appears shipping is flat. 1 switch all the way up to 8 switches $8.78 for shipping.

The newer on/off switches have only 2 leds, on and off.

They install and work just like the previous release.  On/off switches are not, and cannot, be used as dimmers as they use a relay and not a triac, to control the load.

26 minutes ago, Techman said:

The newer on/off switches have only 2 leds, on and off.

They install and work just like the previous release.  On/off switches are not, and cannot, be used as dimmers as they use a relay and not a triac, to control the load.

Did you actually read my post?

Apparently whomever decided to nuke the other 7 leds didn't realize that the on/off switches can be be used as REMOTE dimmers. 

Edited by sorka

7 minutes ago, sorka said:

Did you actually read my post?

Apparently whomever decided to nuke the other 7 leds didn't realize that the on/off switches can be be used as REMOTE dimmers. 

They can be used to control dimmers but are not dimmers themselves and therefore have no usage for more LEDs to indicate levels.

IOW: They can send the dimmer signals but cannot receive them.

• Thanks 1

None of my 2476S SwitchLinc module have all the LED positions installed. Only the On and Off LED are there. So even if it could be used to control a dimmer. There are no LED positions to show where the switch set another module, just empty holes with the light pipe in it.

The FCC Database photos of the 2477S modules. Also only show the On and Off LED installed. So if anyone has all LED's in a switch module. It must have only been in certain revisions.

The old company did indicate you could buy a cover with all the positions so they matched the one you where using now.

18 minutes ago, upstatemike said:

Who else makes Z-Wave chips besides Silicon Labs?

True about the chips, but there is real competition with the devices and that keeps the prices down.

I am sure that if Insteon would have allowed others to manufacture PLMs, switches, etc,  the usage of Insteon would have way more widespread. And I believe that UD was considering making its own PLM.

Quality of a product does not always make it a winner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asbril said:

True about the chips, but there is real competition with the devices and that keeps the prices down.

I am sure that if Insteon would have allowed others to manufacture PLMs, switches, etc,  the usage of Insteon would have way more widespread. And I believe that UD was considering making its own PLM.

But a poor quality product virtually guarantees a loser, unless you can overlook the negative quality and tolerate it.

Edited by matapan

9 hours ago, asbril said:

Prices stay down but where's the improvements in usability. Just a bunch of people making the same devices that do the same things. 

The more expensive zwave devices usually  have additional benefits and costs more and are equal to insteon in price...if not more (see fibaro, aeotec, Eaton, and homeseer)

Edited by lilyoyo1
  • Like 1

Innovation seems to be at a standstill with Z-Wave:

Still waiting for Z-Wave LR products that let you install remote devices without "building out the mesh" with useless intermediate ones just to get the signal there. LoRa uses the same frequency as Z-Wave and has no mesh building requirements.

Still waiting for smooth group actions that work at the protocol/device level without a lot of controller intervention. Bonus if Z-Wave standards were actually enforced so you could have smooth group dimming and simultaneous on/off in mixed vendor switch groups.

Still waiting for a Z-Wave equivalent to the Insteon keypad where buttons can act as virtual switches in multi-way switch switch situations. All Z-Wave can do now is trigger scenes and leave it to the user to somehow code that into proper multi-way control. (ugly, painful, unreliable)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, asbril said:

Yes UDI did have a prototype PLM and then Smartlabs reneged on the promised programed controller chips. Thus killing the product completely.

There where a few other manufacturers on a list we got in the developers group. To start Insteon support. They changed their minds and went other routes like ZWave.

Smartlabs was always protective of their Insteon products. Too soon to comment on the new Insteon Group.

Edited by Brian H
Add something
  • Like 3

On 10/7/2022 at 11:41 AM, oskrypuch said:

Button labeling with a label maker using transparent film is very easy and effective. Almost indistinguishable from etched buttons, and of course easily modifiable.

* Orest

I would try this but don't you still need clear buttons?  Otherwise won't the factory lettering show through?

On 12/14/2022 at 3:41 PM, upstatemike said:

And what kind of labelmaker offers clear film labels? I have a Brother P-Touch and I don't think clear is an option.

On 12/14/2022 at 5:23 PM, MikeD said:

Brother makes clear P-Touch labels.

I've used brother clear labels for other things. 

You should also check out Niimbot they are easier to customize in Size and add graphics etc.... Amazon has them but pricing all over the place.  it's a chinese product with multiple importers...  Clear labels are defiantly available.  There are several sizes of printers, they are bluetooth, you customize your label in a phone app then print.

• Like 2