What is the EISY?

jlegault
Go to solution Solved by lilyoyo1,

10 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

Hello everyone,

As mentioned before, Polisy is not obsolete. We plan to maintain and enhance it till 01/01/2026. 

With kind regards,
Michel

@Michel Kohanim

You may have made comments about this before but now that it's decision time, would you please comment on future plans and what eisy might be able to do that Polisy would not be able to do between now and 2026?

I realize this is somewhat speculative, but it would help clarify our decision on if we should jump up to eisy now.

Thank you.

11 hours ago, MJsan said:

but the EISY only has USB so still need to get one more adapter.

You could contact sales@universal-devices.com and ask about having it combined to save them (and you) on shipping. The issue is with pre-orders it's geared toward only that device. You could probably add both to your order once general ordering is available. 

I don't want to take anything away from what UDI is offering, but if you're worried about shipping you can source the additional cable from Amazon as well.  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IDSM6BW/

Both the adaptor above and this cable have been offered as options in the past. UDI appears to have sourced product so users could buy everything from one place. Indeed, it's a shame you can't order to the pre-order, but I'm sure they can make it possible down the road. 

34 minutes ago, DennisC said:

@Michel Kohanim

You may have made comments about this before but now that it's decision time, would you please comment on future plans and what eisy might be able to do that Polisy would not be able to do between now and 2026?

I realize this is somewhat speculative, but it would help clarify our decision on if we should jump up to eisy now.

Thank you.

The comments he's made over the past few months has been consistent in that polisy and eisy will follow the same development path. Due to the additional features that eisy has (such as HDMI and BT 5.2); a developer may be able to have specific node servers that takes advantage of whatever those offer. However, from the UDI side, both will run the same software and have the same capabilities over the next 3 years. 

Edited by lilyoyo1
5 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

The comments he's made over the past few months has been consistent in that polisy and eisy will follow the same development path. Due to the additional features that eisy has (such as HDMI and BT 5.2); a developer may be able to have specific node servers that takes advantage of whatever those offer. However, from the UDI side, both will run the same software and have the same capabilities over the next 3 years. 

I am aware of past comments and indicated as much in my question. I am also aware that he is in the best possible position to offer some forward thinking insights to the possibilities, without revealing details and promises. That is why I indicated "somewhat speculative".

It doesn't hurt to ask.........

9 minutes ago, DennisC said:

I am aware of past comments and indicated as much in my question. I am also aware that he is in the best possible position to offer some forward thinking insights to the possibilities, without revealing details and promises. That is why I indicated "somewhat speculative".

It doesn't hurt to ask.........

You stated he "may have made comments" so I didn't realize that you were aware. 

One of the complaints have been how hard it is to keep up with his comments since many people aren't on here alot to keep up with what he says. Since me and a few others are, I was just making you aware (just in case, since you said he "may have commented") that others have asked this same question before and he's answered pretty much the same as he did above. 

Edited by lilyoyo1
21 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

You stated he "may have made comments" so I didn't realize that you were aware. 

One of the complaints have been how hard it is to keep up with his comments since many people aren't on here alot to keep up with what he says. Since me and a few others are, I was just making you aware (just in case, since you said he "may have commented") that others have asked this same question before and he's answered pretty much the same as he did above. 

Understood

Thank You!

A comment I'll make is that switching from Polisy to eisy won't likely result in a dramatic performance improvement in the IoX software.  As it is, even when IoX is busily chugging away, the Polisy CPU/RAM combination is basically loafing.  I suspect that big improvements in performance will likely happen as the IoX software changes, not so much as the hardware it runs on improves.  That said, faster CPU's and more RAM are always better.

last pid: 60652;  load averages:  0.48,  0.42,  0.36                                                                                         up 3+20:00:34  07:16:42
47 processes:  1 running, 46 sleeping
CPU:  0.6% user,  0.0% nice,  0.5% system,  0.2% interrupt, 98.8% idle
Mem: 161M Active, 598M Inact, 96M Laundry, 2797M Wired, 267M Free
ARC: 2259M Total, 1359M MFU, 657M MRU, 28M Header, 169M Other
     1854M Compressed, 2190M Uncompressed, 1.18:1 Ratio
Swap: 4093M Total, 4093M Free

• Like 1

I’ve pretty much decided against adding any new Insteon hardware at this point and am mostly using my ISY994i/IR PRO to feed data into Home Assistant, which I have configured on an 8gb Pi. Is there even a reason for me to move to an eisy? The fact that I’d need to do USB to serial to RJ45 to use my PLM is a bit of a bummer. 

17 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

It was mentioned earlier this summer (and quite frequently over the last few months with no date given. As previously explained a couple of times now on this post, they were no longer able to source the components for Polisy hence the new system

I bought my Polisy Pro at the end of March :( 

18 minutes ago, asbril said:

My question is how would I get HA installed on eisy.

If it’s possible to run Docker on eisy then you could run Home Assistant that way. But running Home Assistant in a Docker container is limited in that you can’t use any Home Assistant Add-Ons, which is where the real power of Home Assistant lies. This is the exact reason I now run the the full Home Assistant OS on a Raspberry Pi instead of running the limited version of Home Assistant in a Docker container on my Synology NAS. 

1 hour ago, ResIpsa said:

If it’s possible to run Docker on eisy then you could run Home Assistant that way. But running Home Assistant in a Docker container is limited in that you can’t use any Home Assistant Add-Ons, which is where the real power of Home Assistant lies. This is the exact reason I now run the the full Home Assistant OS on a Raspberry Pi instead of running the limited version of Home Assistant in a Docker container on my Synology NAS. 

I also run Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi 3, waiting for HA Yellow Box, which is basically a Rasperry Pi 4 with HA pre-installed.

• Like 1

First of all, I would like to apologize for the poor choice of words I used in describing those who are eligible for refunds. Extremely bad choice ... 

3 hours ago, Bumbershoot said:

A comment I'll make is that switching from Polisy to eisy won't likely result in a dramatic performance improvement in the IoX software.  As it is, even when IoX is busily chugging away, the Polisy CPU/RAM combination is basically loafing.  I suspect that big improvements in performance will likely happen as the IoX software changes, not so much as the hardware it runs on improves.  That said, faster CPU's and more RAM are always better.

It's true with only one comment: eisy does not have PG2 and mongodb installed. It's only pg3, and to be exact pg3x to which everyone will be migrated (without any impact). With pg3x, each node server has its own OS user + own certificate + authenticated against broker using those certificates. As such, there is a little heavier load on each node server. But I do not see any performance degradations if you don't have 15-20 node servers bombarding pg3->iox every few seconds.

With kind regards, Michel

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, MJsan said:

@lilyoyo1Thanks for updating the link- but that still takes me to the same Amazon DB9-USB adapter. I guess I need to get the RJ45-DB9 StarTech customizable (you can wire the pins) that was mentioned in another thread... to 2 things. Got it!!

That's for those who has the insteon cable and doesn't want to do additional wiring. 

Does anyone know if the ZMatter module (no USB attachment) that has a ZWave antenna and Zigbee antenna and plugs into the Polisy board by opening the box will have the Zigbee functionality when the update is released?  I bought the Zmatter module and installed it and have added my ZWave devices and is working great.  However, there is no ability to add Zigbee devices.  Am I missing something?