Adding Zigbee devices

Don

5 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@Techman, OTA updates was implemented in our first release. The reason we have not made it public is that, at least in the case of couple of Zooz devices, although the upgrade was successful, the devices got bricked. Trying to figure out how to protect ourselves in case OTA bricks a device. Perhaps a huge warning?

With kind regards,
Michel

Even with that, it'll still be your fault with the way people act on here sometimes

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@Techman, OTA updates was implemented in our first release. The reason we have not made it public is that, at least in the case of couple of Zooz devices, although the upgrade was successful, the devices got bricked. Trying to figure out how to protect ourselves in case OTA bricks a device. Perhaps a huge warning?

With kind regards,
Michel

The real question is, when people use other methods for OTA updates (say, a Zooz stick and laptop software), how often do devices get bricked?  In other words, is the eisy/Polisy doing something different that makes it more likely?

2 hours ago, peterathans said:

The real question is, when people use other methods for OTA updates (say, a Zooz stick and laptop software), how often do devices get bricked?  In other words, is the eisy/Polisy doing something different that makes it more likely?

I never had one brick but my sample size is much smaller around 24 devices. I have read that can brick them if flash incorrect firmware but have never really heard of this as a widespread issue. (It is always a risk of bricking any device when performing a firmware upgrade). I have flashed in the past with the Silabs software on PC but lately do with Home Assistant which supports OTA using Z-Wave JS UI - generally it only shows updates that are available from reputable, offical site but you can also OTA any file you download and choose. I think maybe 15 or so devices I have upgraded using OTA on HA while others don't have upgrades available like my Watercop and old device like Everspring leak sensor. I have found that generally no benefit in upgrading firmware except if a new feature is added... eg. Zen32 and Zen17 seem to be only devices that really made a difference.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2023 at 4:18 PM, Michel Kohanim said:

Trying to figure out how to protect ourselves in case OTA bricks a device. Perhaps a huge warning?

With kind regards,
Michel

Meh .. nothing I have that's Zigbee is too expensive right now. I'm willing to take a bullet or two. For science.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is Zigbee supported and working at 5.7.0_5?  I just tried to discover a Zigbee thermostat and it came up empty.  Is anyone out there using Zigbee with eisy and the Matter dongle?

My bad.  Further research I find some out there communicating with bulbs & outlets.  I ordered one of the outlets others are talking to and we'll see how it goes.  

Edited by GJ Software Products
additional details

Yea, I was trying to find out if it's using Zigbee+ (3.0) I would guess it is, which is supposed to be backwards compatible, I thought I saw that somewhere but couldn't find it again.  And configuration seems different from the Zigbee devices I use at work, they all have addressing information you have to set up before Discovery and the Gateway has to match.  Does UI have any docu out there like a Zigbee user manual that anyone is aware of?  I think my On/Off device might show up today from Amazon so we'll see where I get with that???   -Grant  

1 hour ago, GJ Software Products said:

Yea, I was trying to find out if it's using Zigbee+ (3.0) I would guess it is, which is supposed to be backwards compatible, I thought I saw that somewhere but couldn't find it again.  And configuration seems different from the Zigbee devices I use at work, they all have addressing information you have to set up before Discovery and the Gateway has to match.  Does UI have any docu out there like a Zigbee user manual that anyone is aware of?  I think my On/Off device might show up today from Amazon so we'll see where I get with that???   -Grant  

Have never heard or experienced having to do this when adding zigbee devices. 

10 minutes ago, brians said:

Have never heard or experienced having to do this when adding zigbee devices. 

@brians Just fyi, The Viconics VT7600 stat has three parameters for the Wireless models, Com Addr, PAN ID and Channel.  I use these with a couple different Integrations, Zigbee to Niagara and  Zigbee to a BACnetIP gateway, both use all 3 properties and if I remember right (it's been awhile) at least the Channel and maybe PAN ID needs to match.  These are commercial grade devices.

24 minutes ago, GJ Software Products said:

@brians Just fyi, The Viconics VT7600 stat has three parameters for the Wireless models, Com Addr, PAN ID and Channel.  I use these with a couple different Integrations, Zigbee to Niagara and  Zigbee to a BACnetIP gateway, both use all 3 properties and if I remember right (it's been awhile) at least the Channel and maybe PAN ID needs to match.  These are commercial grade devices.

Ya that is probably required way those devices are setup but not required for this coordinator (or any consumer zigbee I have heard of) - just allow it to add devices and press button or whatever is the process in device and it self configures all this.  

11 minutes ago, brians said:

Ya that is probably required way those devices are setup but not required for this coordinator (or any consumer zigbee I have heard of) - just allow it to add devices and press button or whatever is the process in device and it self configures all this.  

That's 'kinda what I was guessing, I'm pretty sure Niagara has a custom driver (.jar) (I'd need to go digging) and then on the BACnet IP side the translation/driver is in the gateway.  Essentially that's what I tried, put the eisy in add/discover mode, then power up the device, I see the broadcast LED flashing but nothing shows up in the AC.  I've had problems with/between Zigbee and Zigbee+ and I'm guessing UD is Zigbee+ but I can't seem to find any specs.  No biggie, this old stat was a free demo from back before I deployed Viconics, I just wanted to see if IoX would recognize it.  This may not have the 3.0 chip in it, it still may be at 1.0 or whatever but 3.0 is supposed to be backwards comparable according to the Zigbee Alliance but I have found that is not always the case.  Thanks,   Grant

• 2 weeks later...

@brians and @GJ Software Products.  I am a bit behind on eisy 5.7.0, and all of my alexa ready zigbee blinds (Graywind - same as yooksmart and IKEA) were found but marked "unavailable".  As an interesting security aside, I have 5 blinds in the house and 14 devices appeared.  The numbers don't mean a thing to me.  I didn't put any of them in programming mode, and all of them work fine with Alexa devices.  

The three that are marked "main" have the same "identify" button on them as the "Unavailable" units.  I wonder if some of these are my neighbors devices or do zigbee devices have more than one identifier?  

Each has three commands "up", "down" and "favorite" which are programmed with a separate remote.  If each command was a zigbee identifier, I would have 15 devices, not 14?

image.png.d772a5b82e3c9baabf5d0a220ad41479.png

Edited by CoolToys
clarification of units/commands
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2023 at 9:56 AM, brians said:

@CoolToys Some zigbee devices may auto pair when powered on, when you set IoX zigbee coordinator to add devices it will pickup everything that is in pairing mode. You could be picking up neighbours blinds but how do you know neighbours have same ones?  

I bought a separate zigbee hub from the blind manufacturer since I ordered three more.  I turned all of the blinds off and back on so the hub could acquire them and I could match id numbers.  I was able to identify all of them.  The extra devices appear to by my Amazon Echos.  

Since these are all the same as IKEA and Yooksmart codes I am hoping to integrate them soon.

Still just getting unavailable and if I select a device in the admin panel there are no options.  Amazon Echo and Home Assistant have four commands I got working.  Up, Down, Stop and Favorite.  The remotes are BT and work fine too.  I would like very much to integrate the blinds with eisy scenes.  Manufacturer has no idea on the codes, they just say "Yooksmart and Ikea".

Using the method to pair with the Home Assistant and some information about the Yooksmart DevW on Github, I realized there are also percentage commands and battery status commands.   The numbers on the yooksmart matter hub in home assistant don't match the numbers the eisy finds.  

I put one in pairing mode and then selected Zigbee>Add A Zigbee Device and I got 8 new ZB XXXXX.1 Main devices added to the network folder for my eisy.  Selecting "identify" or "Query" I get "Request Failed.  All of the previous ZB devices remained on my list.  

On 11/8/2023 at 1:47 PM, CoolToys said:

I put one in pairing mode and then selected Zigbee>Add A Zigbee Device and I got 8 new ZB XXXXX.1 Main devices added to the network folder for my eisy.  Selecting "identify" or "Query" I get "Request Failed.  All of the previous ZB devices remained on my list.  

Have the same problem. Had to replace a Z-wave plug with a Zigbee ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LD7Q81J ). Seemed to go properly, as it added a ZB***** to the list. But when I try to On/Off, a popup occurs "Request Failed." Tried to right-click "Zigbee/ Synchronize/ Update" (and "> Update with Interview" ) the Plug/Light starts flashing, so I know it has some control over the plug, but I cannot get it to turn On or Off without the "Request Failed." Really need to get this working in my programs ASAP!

ADD'L: I've tried adding/re-updating with interview/ deleting/ re-adding these several times (I tried another one just in case the first was "defective") and now I just have the device(s) but nothing in the "control panel" of the AC (i.e. "On" "Off" controls .. just "Query" at the bottom which still results in "Request Failed.")

ADD'L: On/Off buttons and "Set Parameters" controls have now appeared again but still getting "Failed Request" whenever I try On/ Off/ Query.

ADD'L: "Toggle" and "Identify" buttons have now appeared also but still no control: "Request Failed." I would even try changing some parameters to experiment on getting control but I am clueless what to try.

Edited by Riggins44