Smarthome forum appears to be offline

gregkinney

34 minutes ago, GeorgeLG said:

So no other device can control or monitor my installed insteon switches and thermostats?

George

Well, just the devices made by Universal Devices (UDI), the company whose forum you are writing on.  The trouble is you need a plm to interface the UDI device with Insteon and the PLM's are only made by Insteon.  Pretty much that means ebay for a used/new old stock.  I would suggest getting a polisy because it supports all PLM's (USB and Serial).  The Polisy is a newer product and is, I believe now in beta, but I think you will be fine with it.  You could get an ISY 994i but then you will be limited to the serial plm (unless you want to hack a usb/serial adapter for it).  But Polisy is the future for UDI so I would go that route.  I imagine the 994i will stop being supported in maybe 5 to 10 years.  Of course ISY/Polisy can control and interface a myriad of other products, the most widely adopted one being z-wave, but there are tons of other things.

Polisy is the name of the hardware device that the controllers run on.  The base controller is ISY, which natively handles Insteon and Zwave.  I believe z-wave radio comes standard with polisy with the option to purchase a stronger radio.  Of course the Insteon "radio" (PLM) is as discussed.  994i base model does not have a zwave radio.  In addition to ISY running on polisy, polyglot (PG) is a separate piece of software running side by side with ISY on Polisy.  Polyglot serves as the middle man between all sorts of things and ISY, pretty much anything with an API.  Things like weather stations, Tesla, Roomba, camera software, pool control systems, alarm systems (DSC and Elk) and on and on.  UDI also hosts a cloud service at a minimal cost.  This is optional but allows for access to your ISY from outside your LAN without port forwarding your router.  It also manages synchronizing ISY with Alexa and Google.  

2 minutes ago, apostolakisl said:

Well, just the devices made by Universal Devices (UDI), the company whose forum you are writing on.  The trouble is you need a plm to interface the UDI device with Insteon and the PLM's are only made by Insteon.  Pretty much that means ebay for a used/new old stock.  I would suggest getting a polisy because it supports all PLM's (USB and Serial).  The Polisy is a newer product and is, I believe now in beta, but I think you will be fine with it.  You could get an ISY 994i but then you will be limited to the serial plm (unless you want to hack a usb/serial adapter for it).  But Polisy is the future for UDI so I would go that route.  I imagine the 994i will stop being supported in maybe 5 to 10 years.  Of course ISY/Polisy can control and interface a myriad of other products, the most widely adopted one being z-wave, but there are tons of other things.

Polisy is the name of the hardware device that the controllers run on.  The base controller is ISY, which natively handles Insteon and Zwave.  I believe z-wave radio comes standard with polisy with the option to purchase a stronger radio.  Of course the Insteon "radio" (PLM) is as discussed.  994i base model does not have a zwave radio.  In addition to ISY running on polisy, polyglot (PG) is a separate piece of software running side by side with ISY on Polisy.  Polyglot serves as the middle man between all sorts of things and ISY, pretty much anything with an API.  Things like weather stations, Tesla, Roomba, camera software, pool control systems, alarm systems (DSC and Elk) and on and on.  UDI also hosts a cloud service at a minimal cost.  This is optional but allows for access to your ISY from outside your LAN without port forwarding your router.  It also manages synchronizing ISY with Alexa and Google.  

A zwave dongle must be purchased in order to use zwave with polisy. It does not have a zwave radio built in at all. 

On 4/12/2022 at 11:04 AM, Michel Kohanim said:

No more speculations ... they are gone! It's 100% official and it has been for a couple of weeks now.

With kind regards,
Michel

@Michel Kohanim is there an opportunity for UDI to help Hub users by building a bridge to the Hub PLM?

Home Assistant has such a connector and functionality like this in Polisy could gain UDI some new customers.  It's also one more PLM option given the dismal state of availability.

Fyi I have two Insteon Hubs located in my Arizona condo which are dead now and would consider another Polisy to fix my problem.

1 hour ago, lilyoyo1 said:

2413s, 2413u, 2448a7 works with Polisy to control insteon devices

Would you recommend I get a 2448a7 as a backup to my current PLM for my Policy Pro? I have several Insteon devices.

9 minutes ago, tmorse305 said:

In light of recent events I was poking through my Insteon junk box and came across an old relic, 2413UH.  I wonder if it would work with polisy?

I doubt it since it's a controller itself. Has houselinc built in. Doesn't hurt to try to see if polisy recognizes it though

2 minutes ago, Athlon said:

Would you recommend I get a 2448a7 as a backup to my current PLM for my Policy Pro? I have several Insteon devices.

I didn't like my experience with it. However, it's better than nothing. I'd get one to be safe while they're available and still cheap

7 minutes ago, mmb said:

@Michel Kohanim is there an opportunity for UDI to help Hub users by building a bridge to the Hub PLM?

Home Assistant has such a connector and functionality like this in Polisy could gain UDI some new customers.  It's also one more PLM option given the dismal state of availability.

Fyi I have two Insteon Hubs located in my Arizona condo which are dead now and would consider another Polisy to fix my problem.

He answered that before and seemed pretty adamant that they wouldn't be adding support for it. Maybe with them during down that may change. Would be nice

I have no idea how large the installed insteon base is but every insteon home using the traditional insteon server and smart phone just went dead. Do we think that nothing will backfill that void so that my systems (three houses) can resume operating as installed? I am trying to figure out what my next play is here, do I really need to create a new control option that’s needs used/eBay insteon plm’s which will now move to unobtainium status?

Thanks,

George

2 minutes ago, GeorgeLG said:

I have no idea how large the installed insteon base is but every insteon home using the traditional insteon server and smart phone just went dead. Do we think that nothing will backfill that void so that my systems (three houses) can resume operating as installed? I am trying to figure out what my next play is here, do I really need to create a new control option that’s needs used/eBay insteon plm’s which will now move to unobtainium status?

15 minutes ago, mmb said:

FYI, hubs also die from bad caps.  I fixed one just for fun.  I use a couple hubs to help with long range Insteon radio.  It seems that the radio in the hub is much stronger than the radios in all other devices.  Could be just other random issues, but I use Insteon thermostats at my church.  They are radio only of course.  I tried using multiple dual band plug in modules first and had dismal com.  I tried a hub, and it is flawless. The radio covers a distance of maybe 100 feet through metal stud walls. 

20 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

You would probably need to email them direct. We wouldn't have that information. 

The controller is an accounting firm called Aramino. Maybe try reaching out to them or your CC company

Just to be clear are you saying even the Nokia hardware has been scrapped by these incompetent aszz holes?!? 

27 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I didn't like my experience with it. However, it's better than nothing. I'd get one to be safe while they're available and still cheap

Just ordered one from Ebay - $48 including tax & shipping.

15 minutes ago, Teken said:

Just to be clear are you saying even the Nokia hardware has been scrapped by these incompetent aszz holes?!? 

I don't know. I assumed so. However, I just tested my Nokia hub and it still worked to turn on/off my lights. I turned my wifi off to ensure I was going through their servers and it works still

2 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I don't know. I assumed so. However, I just tested my Nokia hub and it still worked to turn on/off my lights. I turned my wifi off to ensure I was going through their servers and it works still

From the Nokia website:

"Touch a switch or turn a dial and your lights turn on. Every time. With patented dual-mesh technology, even if your Wi-Fi is down, your switches still work."

9 minutes ago, Athlon said:

From the Nokia website:

"Touch a switch or turn a dial and your lights turn on. Every time. With patented dual-mesh technology, even if your Wi-Fi is down, your switches still work."

That's just doublespeak. They're saying the devices work locally without the hub just like standard INSTEON.

It goes through their servers like the regular hub. Since the hub servers are down, I would've assumed the Nokia hub servers would be shut down as well. 

6 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I'm surprised smarthome.com is still up at this point.  

I've wondered for awhile if the nokia stuff would reappear once the insteon name is done being trashed.

1 minute ago, MrBill said:

I've wondered for awhile if the nokia stuff would reappear once the insteon name is done being trashed.

Good question. The way the did things though, they just trashed that name as well

19 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

That's just doublespeak. Their saying the devices work locally without the hub just like standard INSTEON.

It goes through their servers like the regular hub. Since the hub servers are down, I would've assumed the Nokia hub servers would be shut down as well. 

There is a non-published local API for the Insteon Hub, I assume the same for the Nokia hub.  Some of the local API was once posted on the INSTEON Australia site for tasker integration.  I built an app a while back which has a small subset of local control for voice commands.  I'll have to dig through my old PC hard drives to see if I saved all API calls.  This  could be an option for local control, but could be difficult to capture anything else without a working app.

19 minutes ago, MrBill said:

This site is still running. Should we hold out hope that Stargate controllers could make a comeback?

http://www.jdstechnologies.com/stargate.html

I think it is just free advertising for the Smarthome.com domain name which might be the most valuable asset that is left.

11 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Good question. The way the did things though, they just trashed that name as well

This is exactly why I blew a stack the other day . . .

You have this incompetent aszz hole who believes using another well known name brand like Nokia to start up a new hardware line. Because he feels it will give them a new start in the market and life without the Insteon bed stains.

Yet, for more than two years this company has refused to publish anything (anywhere) to inform the customer base of their intent and things to come. As a customer I don't like to hear bad news but if you're honest and forthright about the why's it at least gives the customer the opportunity to make plans.

But what do we have here but a company run and operated by a imbecile. For more than three years hardware going out of stock well in advance of any pandemic. In the thick of the pandemic the public used the excuse *Oh this is due to a chip shortage*.

Did this company ever post any official news or updates to affirm the same - no!

As the pandemic continue to unfold what did we see - fire sale.

There were two so called sales from this sh^t stained company over the course of 18 months. To prove and illustrate the incompetence of this company they literally started selling hardware produced from 2013!?!?

It's 2020, 2021, 2022 you know that thing called stock management - FIFO!

Yet, there were things that didn't exist for at least six years like the 240 NO / NC controller??? Then when you thought it couldn't get any dumber they literally had box's of NOS of motions sensors, open close, and leak sensors with retail boxes not used since 2016 on sale during their so called sales event????

As it relates to the Nokia branded hardware if this company literally charged everyone's CC and doesn't automatically refund the same. I hope there's a class action law suite to sue everyone involved until they are broke & homeless! 

The level of arrogance, incompetence, and distain for their customer base is mind bending! 

57 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Given how many folks from the now defunct 'Hub' community are showing up here, I hope the uniformed are not linking UD to Smarthome and/or Nokia.

EDIT: By the term 'linking' I'm talking about reputation - NOT linking hardware and/or software between UD and these other failing companies.

I manage three homes with insteon/hub/servers/iphone app. Can someone please explain the architecture of UD/PLM/... Is the 2245 hub still involved or am I creating the ability to interface with the insteon devices directly to obtain local wireless control and then possible cloud control outside my LAN?

Thanks,

George

43 minutes ago, MrBill said:

It may have been a hostile take-over by Nokia, and Insteon has been hiding from his father's belt! :):)

We can only hope.

18 minutes ago, Teken said:

This is exactly why I blew a stack the other day . . .

You have this incompetent aszz hole who believes using another well known name brand like Nokia to start up a new hardware line. Because he feels it will give them a new start in the market and life without the Insteon bed stains.

Yet, for more than two years this company has refused to publish anything (anywhere) to inform the customer base of their intent and things to come. As a customer I don't like to hear bad news but if you're honest and forthright about the why's it at least gives the customer the opportunity to make plans.

But what do we have here but a company run and operated by a imbecile. For more than three years hardware going out of stock well in advance of any pandemic. In the thick of the pandemic the public used the excuse *Oh this is due to a chip shortage*.

Did this company ever post any official news or updates to affirm the same - no!

As the pandemic continue to unfold what did we see - fire sale.

There were two so called sales from this sh^t stained company over the course of 18 months. To prove and illustrate the incompetence of this company they literally started selling hardware produced from 2013!?!?

It's 2020, 2021, 2022 you know that thing called stock management - FIFO!

Yet, there were things that didn't exist for at least six years like the 240 NO / NC controller??? Then when you thought it couldn't get any dumber they literally had box's of NOS of motions sensors, open close, and leak sensors with retail boxes not used since 2016 on sale during their so called sales event????

As it relates to the Nokia branded hardware if this company literally charged everyone's CC and doesn't automatically refund the same. I hope there's a class action law suite to sue everyone involved until they are broke & homeless! 

The level of arrogance, incompetence, and distain for their customer base is mind bending! 

Careful! I would be sure that somebody is listening, and possibly participating here. :):)

Archived