Matter support?

mikeorst

I know there is the new ZMatter board, but are their plans to actually integrate with other Z-Matter systems?  Will we be able to pair the Apple Home App (homekit) with a UDI support Matter controller?  

One of the main benefits of Matter seems to be you can bridge infrastructures (Apple Homekit, Philips Hue, Google Home, etc...) and wondering if we will be able to take advantage of those integration eventually or is the plan with the new dongle just to have the ability to pair Z-wave or Zigbee based Matter devices to the polisy or eisy?

UDI would obviously have to weigh in on this, but I understood that the ZMatter implementation would be as a fully functional citizen of the Matter universe, and not limited to being something akin to a UDI walled garden of Matter devices that only communicate with a Polisy or eisy.  I doubt something like that would pass muster with the CSA, as that one of the points of Matter is interoperability.

https://csa-iot.org/all-solutions/matter/

One protocol to connect compatible devices and systems with one another. Smart home devices should be secure, reliable, and seamless to use. And with Matter, they are.

2 hours ago, mikeorst said:

I know there is the new ZMatter board, but are their plans to actually integrate with other Z-Matter systems?  Will we be able to pair the Apple Home App (homekit) with a UDI support Matter controller?  

One of the main benefits of Matter seems to be you can bridge infrastructures (Apple Homekit, Philips Hue, Google Home, etc...) and wondering if we will be able to take advantage of those integration eventually or is the plan with the new dongle just to have the ability to pair Z-wave or Zigbee based Matter devices to the polisy or eisy?

https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/39372-curated-answers-to-general-eisy-questions/

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, Bumbershoot said:

UDI would obviously have to weigh in on this, but I understood that the ZMatter implementation would be as a fully functional citizen of the Matter universe, and not limited to being something akin to a UDI walled garden of Matter devices that only communicate with a Polisy or eisy.  I doubt something like that would pass muster with the CSA, as that one of the points of Matter is interoperability.

https://csa-iot.org/all-solutions/matter/

One protocol to connect compatible devices and systems with one another. Smart home devices should be secure, reliable, and seamless to use. And with Matter, they are.

Depends how you interpret that... is it connecting compatible devices and systems with one another, simply meaning a matter device works with a matter compatible system, or a matter compatible system works with another system?

I think the main goal was to have matter devices that will work on any system which the user has invested in, and making work across multiple systems I bet will be a bit of headache in the beginning anyways.

Edited by brians

For me, it's all about connecting different systems without the need for active Internet connectivity. The more this can be enabled, the better.

Yes - I know google Home, Alexa (and others) all depend on cloud for voice parsing. However, currently when you ask a light to change the Google Assistant cloud sends the command to the UDI cloud service - which sends the command down to Polisy/eisy. I would love for this to change (Google/Amazon device sends Matter command to Polisy/eisy directly). No more needing to configure devices one by one in my.isy.io. Setting up schedules in Home or Alexa should then not depend on cloud connectivity at all. Of course - this somewhat depends on Google/Amazon and Apple doing the right thing here as well...

Beyond that - being able to 'natively' use any of the new class of devices coming out - not having to await or code a new poly for a new API etc etc..

• 11 months later...

We're coming up on a year since the last post in this thread. If someone with an appropriate knowledge base would be willing and magnanimous enough to do so, I would love to get a "state of the union" when it comes to eisy and Matter support. The curated answers to general eisy questions says, "Since there's nothing in the wild to test with, no one can say how it will work or what can/cannot be done." I would have to believe that's changed at some point in the last year. I do see a few Matter compliant products on the market. There are a few forum posts with questions about Matter products, but very little information to be found. ARS had an interesting article on Matter recently which would lead me to steer clear of it for the time being. Anyway, some recent thoughts on the "matter" from guru-tier forum members would be educational and appreciated. :-)

(Merry Christmas, BTW.) :-)

Edited by chris.com

https://www.theverge.com/23820078/matters-biggest-problem-apple-google-thread-border-router-interoperability This article from this summer gives a detailed description of the state of affairs.

UDI is not the bottle neck. They're suffering, like other integrators, from the governing bodies decision to let Apple, Google, Samsung et. al. mutually agree and cooperate on proprietary products & border routers.

Going to need to let the dust created from the dust settle😒.

• Like 2
On 12/25/2023 at 3:21 PM, paulbates said:

https://www.theverge.com/23820078/matters-biggest-problem-apple-google-thread-border-router-interoperability This article from this summer gives a detailed description of the state of affairs.

UDI is not the bottle neck. They're suffering, like other integrators, from the governing bodies decision to let Apple, Google, Samsung et. al. mutually agree and cooperate on proprietary products & border routers.

Going to need to let the dust created from the dust settle😒.

This was many of ours concern from the start and why I have no interest in Matter. At the end of the day, they all have too much to lose by truly working together. This is why is stick to single source....I know everything will work the way I want together without any compatibility issues

Edited by lilyoyo1