Support Thread for IoX 5.7.0

Chris Jahn

1 hour ago, stevehoyt said:

just updated to 5.7.0 on Polisy and all programs were disabled. 

I just noticed this too on my Polisy that all programs are disabled!!! I am positive they were not disabled previously. I was already on 5.7.0 and just did an update for latest PG3x (and also notice am on 13.2)

It is not good that UD seems to have all these update issues, especially this one considering people have been discussing the issue in this thread for quite a while now!!! This is a very significant bug disabling programs.

I have moved everything to HA Automations earlier in year so it only affects my 20 or so programs which keep Insteon LEDs in sync. For those with hundreds or thousands of programs it must be a nightmare.

@brians if you made a backup before the update you can restore that and the programs will be returned to their state from the backup. At least it worked when I updated. 

Seems this issue was triggered in the 5.6x to 5.7 update and attempted fix was put in place, but apparently didn't resolve the issue. 

2 minutes ago, Geddy said:

@brians if you made a backup before the update you can restore that and the programs will be returned to their state from the backup. At least it worked when I updated. 

Seems this issue was triggered in the 5.6x to 5.7 update and attempted fix was put in place, but apparently didn't resolve the issue. 

Thanks, but it took me only a minute to re-enable them all in my case, and  I took opportunity to clean up a bit  deleting more unused programs - down to 16 now :)

• Like 1

Upgraded packages for PG3x and after about 5 minutes it said to reboot but I had walked away for a bit and when I came back the AC was grayed out but did at least let me try to reboot.  Never came back even after power cycle.  Guess I'll have to hard reset and restore it.  :(

Edit:  @Michel KohanimWon't hard reset, LED just stays green no matter how long I hold the reset button.  Guess it's time to open a ticket.

Edited by btreinders
On 9/27/2023 at 5:46 PM, dbwarner5 said:

Am not sure if it is "fixed", but I just did the upgrade w/o any problems. Beeps were off, but when asked to reboot via the AC, I did so and all is fine. To connect again, I did the usual clear java cache and downloaded new AC from https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp.  Loaded just fine. 

I do have a program that runs at every restart that manually disables all my disabled programs (lesson learned long ago to avoid any unintended infinite loops) so I dont know for sure if they loaded correctly or not or were "fixed" via this startup program. 

I also go to http://polisyaddress:8080/admin.jnlp and download the local file as getting to the AC directly this way is much faster and there is never a "isy didnt load" issue in the launcher. 

Cheers.

Update: per @brians, I ran uname -a to check the OS. Was still on 13.1 so did another upgrade packages. Followed onscreen directions, all seem to come up fine, but then I noticed many programs were "locked" in a run position but should not have been as there were no waits, and most were simple 3-5 line programs. So I did another reboot and restarted the AC to find all my programs (~1000) disabled. 

I did a restore from the back up I made prior and all seems to be back to normal. 

31 minutes ago, dbwarner5 said:

Update: per @brians, I ran uname -a to check the OS. Was still on 13.1 so did another upgrade packages. Followed onscreen directions, all seem to come up fine, but then I noticed many programs were "locked" in a run position but should not have been as there were no waits, and most were simple 3-5 line programs. So I did another reboot and restarted the AC to find all my programs (~1000) disabled. 

I did a restore from the back up I made prior and all seems to be back to normal. 

Are you on 13.2 now also?

3 hours ago, Geddy said:

happened to me when I was running 5.6.4 after an upgrade that had a minor fix (was 5.6.4_1 if you looked at the version at OS level - something had been changed to quietly fix a bug).

It's stunning to me that UDI is not releasing a fix (if there is one) or telling people to stop updating (if they don't have one) unless you only have a few disabled programs and can easily recover.

This is a major bug for some us (I have about 1200 programs, of which about 350-400 are to be left disabled all the time)

I RECOMMEND YOU DO NOT UPGRADE TO 5.7.0 UNLESS YOU CAN EASILY FIX THIS PROBLEM IF IT HAPPENS,

Edited by johnnyt
1 minute ago, johnnyt said:

I RECOMMEND YOU DO NOT UPGRADE TO 5.7.0 UNLESS YOU CAN EASILY FIX THIS PROBLEM IF IT HAPPENS,

My understanding is that if you create a backup before updating, then restore the backup after updating you'll be fine (if your programs become disabled).

That's an easy 'fix'. 😄

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Athlon said:

My understanding is that if you create a backup before updating, then restore the backup after updating you'll be fine (if your programs become disabled).

That's an easy 'fix'. 😄

But you lose any variable that you keep values in like energy usage for each month as an example.

22 minutes ago, johnnyt said:

It's stunning to me that UDI is not releasing a fix

Perhaps there's just not a fix for this. I know there's been a bump in version from 5.7.0 to 5.7.0_1, but not apparently that wasn't to fix the program issue. 

Agreed it's a big issue. And either there's not an "easy" fix or just an uncertain reason for causing it. I think the fix was that the programs would disable again on reboot so at least it wasn't happening every time the device restarted as long as you upgraded again. 

29 minutes ago, btreinders said:

But you lose any variable that you keep values in like energy usage for each month as an example.

26 minutes ago, Athlon said:

Hmm - did not know those values aren't backed up or restored.

So variables are backed up and restored. Data stored in devices, e.g. total energy, will remain and continue to update in the device itself I believe (I never actually checked that - it's just what would sense)

The problem with variables and restores for me (and I suspect many others) is that I rarely want the old data from the backup to overwrite the data that's in the variables now. The most obvious use case (and I have tons of these) is for variables that store usage data, e.g. the time that the furnace fan is on increments a variable that I use to tell me when to change the filter based on usage.

Really I can only think of one use case where I DON'T want to keep the old data, and that's if doing an SD card replacement. Maybe I'm not thinking of other ones right now but mostly I don't want the restore to overwrite the data in variables.  I either would want the latest data or I simply don't care - the variable is for transitory data anyway.

UDI told me they're considering a way to NOT restore variable data when doing a restore. I presume it will be an option  (yes/no) because if I'm replacing an SD card with my restore I would want the value from the backup restored.

I have no idea when that feature might come but maybe if others ask for it, it will come sooner rather than later :-)

40 minutes ago, Geddy said:

Agreed it's a big issue. And either there's not an "easy" fix or just an uncertain reason for causing it. 

I'm assuming it's a difficult bug to find/fix but I have to say I'm not sure if that's a correct assumption. What if it's just because it doesn't impact a lot of users, or it simply doesn't matter the severity of the impact to those affected? If one opens a ticket right now one will see there's a 5.7.1 and 5.7.2 release that haven't been actually released. Does one of those have the fix? Maybe. Maybe not. It's a guessing game.

The problem is more about the lack of communication. Someone else made that point earlier in this thread and I couldn't have agreed more with that. Why not say "fix coming soon - just wait", or "it's a weird one; working on it - proceed with caution"

It's concerning, actually, particularly when this release was announced to all on UDI mailing list as "official". Years ago (pre-zwave), official releases were after umpteen beta releases that were actually flawless most of the time (certainly by comparison to more recent times).

Yeah, more complex solution today, for sure. Lots of moving parts. Which is why communication seems so much more important today. 

19 minutes ago, btreinders said:

I lost my monthly energy usage data stored in state variables when I did a restore so I guess I don't understand why you think that data is backed up.

I'm talking about Init value. I save my variable data throughout the day, for example when a counter stops (in Else action) as well as at regular timed intervals. I don't think it's a good idea to save every increment as I think it would cause excessive SD wear over many years but that's kind of an assumption I made.

Office Damper Counter - [ID 010A][Parent 0210]

If
        'HVAC / Furnace Area / Office Damper' Status is On

Then
        Wait  5 seconds
        Repeat Every  1 minute 
           $iHVAC.Count.OfficeDamper += 1

Else
        $iHVAC.Count.OfficeDamper Init To $iHVAC.Count.OfficeDamper

I also have a "Save all Counters" program I call before a reboot or a backup that updates all my important usage init values. Would love if that could be called by IoX at shutdown, which reminds me that I have to submit a request for that feature.

• Like 2
On 9/29/2023 at 3:22 PM, dbwarner5 said:

Another ALL PROGRAMS DISABLED situation:

Had a power blip here today. Polisy wasn't responding correctly afterwards. Could not access via AC. Unplugged, replugged. Gained access upon reboot. All programs were again disabled. 

Had to do another restore from my back up. After restore, self reboot, am back in and everything is fine. 

STRANGE. 

4 hours ago, btreinders said:

My Polisy is still down hard and I am freaking out.  So dependent on this automation now!  Ticket opened, @Michel Kohanimresponded a few times on Friday and nothing since.  I am assuming I need an image of the SSD installed which I am sure I can do if I just had one.  Hopefully they respond today.

In the ISY installing a new SD card was so easy. IIRC You boot up with a new SD card inserted, it knows that and asks you where your image is. You browse to  your last backup file and it downloads it, installs it, and you are up and running. PoC (cake involved)

Edited by larryllix
5 minutes ago, larryllix said:

In the ISY installing a new SD card was so easy.

Ah … The good old days. :)  UDI is missing the boat by not continuing to produce the ISY. It’s the only solution when using Insteon. 

1 hour ago, vbPhil said:

UDI is missing the boat by not continuing to produce the ISY. It’s the only solution when using Insteon. 

Huh @vbPhil?

Insteon operation is identical on eISY and Polisy. Plus they integrate z-wave (like the ISY) and zigbee for more device options.  I'm finding operating range is much better too using the zmatter board - no z-wave repeaters needed.

I use my old ISY in my vacation condo.  It's all insteon, so a perfect fit.

Edited by mmb
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

UDI should at least post the SSD image somewhere with instructions on how to re-image it for people not afraid to do it.  Not having water leak detection right now worries me.  At least with Home Assistant I do have some functionality but yes the Polisy and eISY need to be able as a user to fix when they go down.  This wasn't even my fault.  I did an update packages and this is what I got.  

2 hours ago, btreinders said:

UDI should at least post the SSD image somewhere with instructions on how to re-image it for people not afraid to do it.  

I agree but in the mean time I got one of these https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01MCV52TH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3TUR5JBYCEPNE&th=1 and used Rufus to create my own image. Careful the adapter you choose. They aren't all the same.

Here's a thread on this with more info and variations that worked for others