Support thread for: ISY on Polisy (IoP) v5.4.4 (May 25, 2022)

image.png.a9c81670327acadbb7cb2b3a557a8710.png

I wish that you would come up with a better method for I/O:

• I often can't hear high pitched electronic beeps requiring my wife to listen for me. 
  • The Polisy unit is not located where anyone normally is.  If we need to hear 4 beeps, someone has to go stand by a closet in the basement and listen.

Same is true of button presses on the front of the unit and/or looking at what the lights are doing-- it takes the addition of a step stool to do either of those things.

Sure it's fine to do all those things when diagnosing a unit that isn't working correctly, but none of those things should be a part of routine maintenance items.

We also hate instructions such as this because we don't know what time frame that should occur in, do we wait 30 second, or could it be an hour?  what do we do if we never hear the beeps?

There has to be a better way....

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, MrBill said:

I wish that you would come up with a better method for I/O:

• I often can't hear high pitched electronic beeps requiring my wife to listen for me. 
  • The Polisy unit is not located where anyone normally is.  If we need to hear 4 beeps, someone has to go stand by a closet in the basement and listen.

Same is true of button presses on the front of the unit and/or looking at what the lights are doing-- it takes the addition of a step stool to do either of those things.

Sure it's fine to do all those things when diagnosing a unit that isn't working correctly, but none of those things should be a part of routine maintenance items.

We also hate instructions such as this because we don't know what time frame that should occur in, do we wait 30 second, or could it be an hour?  what do we do if we never hear the beeps?

ditto to that. Mine is in the garage because of optimum location for the Insteon PLM. When Insteon is gone I guess it could be anywhere since it has WiFi.

Just now, oskrypuch said:

Well, I can still hear the beeps, and the unit is in my study. But, it would be nice if we could just SSH in, and have a terminal session that triggers this, and continues to provide updates.

* Orest

Whoops, saw this only just now ...

- If you are a geek, ssh and:
sudo pkg update && sudo pkg upgrade && sudo service isy restart

So, is there even such a thing as Z-Wave associations "scenes", as in Insteon scenes, that are supported in most Z-Wave devices?

And, if there is, is it mainly just the popcorn kind of thing response?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch
46 minutes ago, oskrypuch said:

So, is there even such a thing as Z-Wave associations "scenes", as in Insteon scenes, that are supported in most Z-Wave devices?

And, if there is, is it mainly just the popcorn kind of thing response?

* Orest

Yes, not sure about popcorn response with multiple devices, but I have used the Silicon Labs Z-Wave PC Controller to set basic associations with Z-Wave devices that will run independently of a controller and it is very fast.  See this thread and all my significant testing/conclusions are at the end - where it died off and seemed nobody else showed anymore interest.

For some reason, ISY/Polisy doesn't allow setting basic associations for common wall switches which I tested (Zen71, Jasco) but these in fact do support basic association when testing using the PC software. It is a Z-Wave standard but maybe it is difficult to implement directly in ISY, however, it seems the ISY does other associations, just not Basic Set (Group 2 in most devices). I would be happy to have an association tool in future Polisy instead of than having to use an additional S2 dongle and PC. Currently I haven't used this feature myself yet beyond testing, because I have mostly Insteon, but there is one room where I plan to setup a virtual 3-way using Z-Wave this would be perfect for.

Here is direct link to my post.

Edited by brians
  • Like 3
19 hours ago, MrBill said:

I agree with you. There is. But, currently, low priority

16 hours ago, brians said:

Z-Wave basic associations still not fixed/working in this update.

We abandoned our existing code. All this will start working + S2 + OTA with the new Z-Wave/Matter dongle. 

With kind regards,
Michel

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
15 minutes ago, roberthleeii said:

Are we going to have to completely reset and restart our z-wave network when this update comes around?

Michel said that a backup from the Zooz Series 700 dongle can be restored to the new board/dongle,  Not sure that a ISY 500 series backup would work (but I hope that it will),

• Like 1

SSHed in, all updated, including turning on TPM. No need to guess at the time intervals, it took quite a while for process so nice to have the TERM listing it out.

Accessing Polyglot required restarting it, and trying to log in twice, otherwise routine.

Enabling TPM took a minute or so to complete. Password tucked away safely.

* Orest

I was able to update my Policy and restore a backup of my 994 I apologize if this has been asked before, is there a way to use my existing PLM cable which appears to be a CAT 5 on one of the other Ethernet jacks?  I have a CAT5 to DB9 cable coming at some point if not.

Thanks

On 5/27/2022 at 9:25 AM, btreinders said:

PG2 still shows 5.4.3 and PG3 shows 5.4.2 even after restarting both.

Make sure you've manually refreshed the webpage. Sometimes it also takes logging out of the dashboard, closing the browser, and coming back and still refreshing. More than likely it's just a web cache glitch.

If not, restart the ISY service again. What process did you use to update the system? In the PG3 dashboard look under System and "Reboot ISY". You might hear a beep if you're close to the Polisy. 

image.png

If this method doesn't happen to work then try to reboot the IoP from the admin console configuration tab. 

Post back either way to let us know if it worked (or not). 

On 5/27/2022 at 7:56 AM, Michel Kohanim said:

We abandoned our existing code. All this will start working + S2 + OTA with the new Z-Wave/Matter dongle. 

I find this to be a remarkable statement.  To me, this represents a fairly quick turnaround from the initial direction UDI was taking with Z-Wave on Polisy (Zooz 700 dongle with migrated ISY994 code/functionality), to a new dongle with all the advanced Z-Wave 700 features and Matter included to boot...

I don't follow developments in the Z-Wave/Matter world at all, but it makes me wonder if there aren't libraries of code for Z-Wave/Matter now available that meet UDI's licensing/pricing requirements -- after all, they chose FreeBSD for Polisy, no doubt at least somewhat due to it's license/price.  Either that, or UDI has been very busy rewriting...

If the new code is proprietary, then good for UDI for getting this done!  If it's somehow in the public domain or otherwise available, then good for the industry as a whole!  Either way, I'm excited and relieved.

Edited by Bumbershoot
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, Geddy said:

Make sure you've manually refreshed the webpage. Sometimes it also takes logging out of the dashboard, closing the browser, and coming back and still refreshing. More than likely it's just a web cache glitch.

If not, restart the ISY service again. What process did you use to update the system? In the PG3 dashboard look under System and "Reboot ISY". You might hear a beep if you're close to the Polisy. 

image.png

If this method doesn't happen to work then try to reboot the IoP from the admin console configuration tab. 

Post back either way to let us know if it worked (or not). 

You are correct, seems to just be a refresh issue.  I tried from my phone and it shows correctly.  PG3 is now showing correctly from this PC but PG2 continues to show 5.4.3.  Well, thought I'd check one more time and now PG2 shows 5.4.4.  I did a refresh just before writing this and it did not change but while writing it and going back it did.

• Like 1
On 5/27/2022 at 4:21 PM, asbril said:

Michel said that a backup from the Zooz Series 700 dongle can be restored to the new board/dongle,  Not sure that a ISY 500 series backup would work (but I hope that it will),

1 hour ago, Bumbershoot said:

I find this to be a remarkable statement.  To me, this represents a fairly quick turnaround from the initial direction UDI was taking with Z-Wave on Polisy (Zooz 700 dongle with migrated ISY994 code/functionality), to a new dongle with all the advanced Z-Wave 700 features and Matter included to boot...

I don't follow developments in the Z-Wave/Matter world at all, but it makes me wonder if there aren't libraries of code for Z-Wave/Matter now available that meet UDI's licensing/pricing requirements -- after all, they chose FreeBSD for Polisy, no doubt at least somewhat due to it's license/price.  Either that, or UDI has been very busy rewriting...

If the new code is proprietary, then good for UDI for getting this done!  If it's somehow in the public domain or otherwise available, then good for the industry as a whole!  Either way, I'm excited and relieved.

I had no idea about any of this. Are there Threads about this that I missed on the forum? I would be very interested to follow this progression and know what future changes and improvements this brings. I am assuming that the the inclusion of Matter will bring native ISY control of the Matter supporting protocols. (still new to all of this, I only have a very general underestimating of all of this) 

9 hours ago, Bumbershoot said:

I don;t know why any device that supports echoing it's own protocol cannot monitor that same protocol signal for a group device code that it belongs to. Scenes and instant group responses, without any popcorn effect, should be a natural built-in feature of any device used in a esh protocol.

I can;t help but wonder this is planned as Zwave Ultra that will cause all the Zwave followers to (again) buy all new devices and dump their old devices in 2023. Marketing plan?

On 5/25/2022 at 6:37 PM, bpwwer said:

I'm wondering what a node server for WOL would look like...

Configuration could be via custom parameters:

[host] : [mac address]
[host2] : [mac address2]

I would assume the goal would be to have a program action that sends the WOL packet to one of the configured devices. 

So would this create a node for each host and that node would have one command to send the WOL packet?

Or would a single node with a dynamic parameter list for a send command be better?

A node per host would be easier to implement, but that brings up the question @Michel Kohanim, what is the node limit for IOP?

It could be a pretty simple node server, so what's it worth?

A node for each host would work for me. I would create a program I could trigger in UD Mobile to wake computers in other parts of the house.

I'd be happy to assist in any testing.