Migration from ISY, no devices only programs

oamber
Go to solution Solved by Javi,

Im boldly trying to get my eisy working. Its installed, I can access it from the admin console, my email and text configuration is there and the test send a text, all my programs are there.

My ISY is still on and working in parallel, I can access the Admin and I can control via Mobilinc Pro.

I only have insteon devices.

I successfully linked a new insteon device to eisy and I can operate it from admin and UD portal. 

I don't see any of my existing insteon devices though, and all programs that refer to them won't save or update.

Searched this forum for possible tips, no luck so far. Is there anyone who can offer help?

10 minutes ago, oamber said:

My ISY is still on and working in parallel, I can access the Admin and I can control via Mobilinc Pro.

Insteon devices can only link to one controller. Something has got to give up if you're trying to run both the eisy and ISY994.

Which device is your PLM connected to? That's going to be the only device you can control the devices with.

If you migrated to eisy from the ISY994 you should have moved the PLM to the eisy as part of that process. 

You can run two controllers and have 2 PLM in service, but the devices can only like to one PLM. Your newly linked device to the eisy is probably the only one you can operate through the eisy as the others are still controlled by the PLM connected to the ISY994. 

Is there a reason to keep the ISY994 in service? 

Note: if you bring over the PLM from the ISY994 to the eisy the sole device you connected to the eisy will need to be re-linked with the other PLM (once connected to the eisy). 

Make sure you follow the migration instructions:  https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Eisy:User_Guide#Migration

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the quick reply. 

I only wanted to keep the old in service because I am deathly afraid of not having the new one work and I have so many things I rely on my controller to do around here every day. 

One other thing: the guide to migration wanted me to upgrade my old isy to the latest version, and I downloaded the file which was a folder with other folders inside. When I tried to upgrade it told me the file was not usable. So I went with my old version...

This is what I was concerned about. I love my UD controller but it has always been very difficult for me. 

I moved the plm and tried to migrate again. Still no devices. 

I just don't know where to go from here.

Did you update your ISY to the 5.3.4 firmware and UI prior to the migration, it's a must.

You also need to update the eisy firmware

If you're using your serial PLM did you connect it using the serial to USB conversion cables?

Edited by Techman

I tried to use the firmware download called Insteon_5 but my isy said it wouldn't work. Is there something im missing here?

I was able to update eisy firmware.

I used the conversion cable I bought from UD. 

Thanks for trying to help me!

@oamber don’t unzip the file downloaded to update.

Let us know the following (related to the ISY994)

• What is your current firmware on the ISY994?
  • what computer OS are you using?
  • do you have/use Zwave?
  • if yes, see this post about zwave version
  • follow the directions to upgrade to the proper 5.x version

Finally, let us know what firmware you are trying to upgrade to. (On the ISY994)

• Like 1

At the risk of appearing that I do not appreciate your help, the messages for lilyoyo1 and Techman completely ignore the issues that I have already described. You are going in circles suggesting things that I told you I tried. 

I already know you don't unzip the link, and I told you the file I downloaded is not a zip file. 

Thanks for trying though. 

@oamber

The 5.3.4 update will download as a folder, which you should place on your desktop and do not remove any files from it. When you select manually update from your ISY994 you should point to that folder.

You should also do a factory reset on the eisy as you may have loaded incompatible data in your previous attempt to migrate.

Edited by Techman

I currently don't have an ISY994 hooked up.  Here's the instructions from the ISY Cookbook:

Manually Upgrading Your Firmware

• The downloaded firmware MUST remain zipped. DO NOT unzip the downloaded file.
• Please ensure you have a good backup before attempting a firmware update.
• Disable all anti-virus and firewall software before attempting a firmware update.
• Be sure to run firmware updates from a stable and, if possible, hardwired network connection. Avoid running firmware upgrades from marginal wifi connections or off-site locations if possible.
• Once downloaded, click the HELP pull-down menu, then MANUALLY UPGRADE, and browse to the firmware file you have downloaded.
• After upgrading your firmware, please close all browser windows and clear your Java cache as outlined in section 23.6 Clearing Java Cache

Edited by Techman
  • Solution
23 minutes ago, oamber said:

from 994i admin console choose Help-manually upgrade isy

select file downloaded re: insteon_5

select open

this opens the subfolders, there's nowhere to go from here..

Are you using Safari?  Safari may be unzipping the file but it is possible other browsers have a similar feature. A Google search will show you how to disable this feature.

Hovering over the link below shows it is a zipped file

Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 4.21.49 PM.png

2 hours ago, oamber said:

I downloaded a file from this link:  ISY 994i Series including Z-Wave support 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1