is ZMATTER the same as MATTER

Go to solution Solved by Geddy,

Had to pick up some on/off switches for work.  We were using KASA so I picked up some new ones (Kasa KP125M ) They now support MATTER.

From my quick read of the forums, ZMATTER is for the support of Zigbee devices that support matter, I'm guessing over the zigbee network. 

Will my EISY support MATTER over ethernet/WiFi? Will it support the Kasa devices that support matter?

Just learning so trying to understand this all.

• Solution

@awysocki eventually “ZMatter” will include the ability to control matter devices. UD just hasn’t released the Matter ability yet. They’ve posted that it is still in the works, but no timeframe given for when it will release. 

Currently ZMatter can control Z-Wave and Zigbee devices. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Geddy said:

They’ve posted that it is still in the works, but no timeframe given for when it will release.

Geddy, I read the Matter drivers were written for Linux whereas IOX is Unix, kind of a big discrepancy and will require a lot of work to port them over.

• 1 month later...

It’s a bit frustrating that they haven't released Matter on a device called "ZMatter".  Talk about misleading.  Additionally, still showing "Available for shipment on 12/01/2023" on the purchase page when 2024 is half over alludes to a lack of attention to this device.  Total waste of money.

• Like 1

You're welcome to return it. There is no lack of attention to this product. Matter is a behemoth of over 20GB of source code most of which do not apply to our platform. We have gotten Matter over WiFi with BLE commissioning working on a couple of devices and it will be available for testing shortly.

With kind regards,

Michel

• Like 4

@Michel Kohanim I don't think anyone intended to ding your helmet.

We are all just "anxious" and "waiting".

Aeotec has a Smart Home Hub that is: Certified to work with Google, Alexa, SmartThings, Matter, Wi-Fi, Z-Wave Plus, and ZigBee protocols.

We would just like to see Matter in UD's eISY (as it also supports Insteon and we like it alot).

Keep up the good work!

Jon

On 7/24/2024 at 1:06 PM, Michel Kohanim said:

You're welcome to return it. There is no lack of attention to this product. Matter is a behemoth of over 20GB of source code most of which do not apply to our platform. We have gotten Matter over WiFi with BLE commissioning working on a couple of devices and it will be available for testing shortly.

With kind regards,

Michel

@Michel Kohanim, I've got 3 Eve Energy devices running on an Apple TV border router.  They are not in any critical application right now, so I'm happy to help test when you have something available.

Mark

Thank you all for your patience. 

We already have WiFi based Matter devices working. The commissioning will be done using UD Mobile. For Thread based Matter devices, if you have a border router that provides the key, that's also supported. What we are working on is the dual Thread/Zigbee stack on the chip to allow for eisy to directly integrate with Thread based Matter devices (Eve). At this juncture, it's working but it dramatically decreases the reliability of all other Zigbee devices. We are trying to see whether or not this can be alleviated.

With kind regards,
Michel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2024 at 10:48 AM, Michel Kohanim said:

At this juncture, it's working but it dramatically decreases the reliability of all other Zigbee devices.

I have Matter (Thread) devices and no Zigbee, don't expect to ever buy a Zigbee device. While not ideal, a choice between Zigbee and Matter, defaulting to Zigbee, would work just fine for people in the same situation and not affect current Zigbee users. Thank you for all the effort you are putting into delivering Matter support.

• Like 1

Great news.  Sounds like we're getting closer!  Thanks to everyone working to get MATTER / Thread over the finish line.

On a related note, I too have also started accumulating MATTER devices and I was reminded today when I received the Insteon Anniversary sale email that I haven't seen any updates regarding Insteon and if they will also support Matter/Thread.  I really like their new i3 devices but I'm very hesitant to add any devices that aren't either MATTER compatible or that promise to get there in the near future.  Especially as it seems UDI is getting closer to supporting it.

1 hour ago, bcdavis75 said:

that I haven't seen any updates regarding Insteon and if they will also support Matter/Thread. 

They want to as well; all HA integrators want to. I attended their 2nd Anniversary celebration zoom call a month ago and this exact topic came up. Like UDI, they're not the size of apple, google, amazon, et. al, don't have the resources to deal with the giant ball of matter code and they are struggling to get to the finish line as well. They said they're targeting January.

Having said that, I'm fairly confident that they mean that as it applies to their hub and director products, not matter on their embedded devices; switchlincs, etc.

Great news.  Sounds like we're getting closer!  Thanks to everyone working to get MATTER / Thread over the finish line.
On a related note, I too have also started accumulating MATTER devices and I was reminded today when I received the Insteon Anniversary sale email that I haven't seen any updates regarding Insteon and if they will also support Matter/Thread.  I really like their new i3 devices but I'm very hesitant to add any devices that aren't either MATTER compatible or that promise to get there in the near future.  Especially as it seems UDI is getting closer to supporting it.
It sounds like Matter will be supported over the ZigBee network anyway.

None of this was made clear to me and do much confusion has been spread around everywhere.

Sent from my SM-S711W using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, bcdavis75 said:

Insteon doesnt have to support Matter if the eisy supports it. Your devices would talk to other matter devices via the eisy.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Insteon doesnt have to support Matter if the eisy supports it. Your devices would talk to other matter devices via the eisy.

Well said. AFAIK, matter is simply a pathway between devices and not "smarts". eisy will be powerful matter product as its logic is brand (Apple, Google, Amazon, et al) agnostic. Eisy is also the best native Insteon controller, we get the best of all worlds.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, paulbates said:

Well said. AFAIK, matter is simply a pathway between devices and not "smarts". eisy will be powerful matter product as its logic is brand (Apple, Google, Amazon, et al) agnostic. Eisy is also the best native Insteon controller, we get the best of all worlds.

Hmm. I hadn’t thought of it that way. Although there are other reasons for wishing for wishing Insteon to migrate to matter/thread. I presume, maybe incorrectly, that it would remove the PLM from the mix, should it ever be necessary, all your lights could be easily migrated to a different platform. 

all that said, I feel a little less uneasy about incremental adding some i3 devices. 

56 minutes ago, bcdavis75 said:

all that said, I feel a little less uneasy about incremental adding some i3 devices. 

I had insteon in my last house for > 15 years, and sold the ISY and everything with it. I started over here last summer, and went with i3 paddles... slowly built up to 14. UDI is offering a 10% off promotion for Insteon now, and Insteon offered multiple discounts to those that joined their 2 year celebration call last month... I have 10 more coming to go in.

They have a softer look and sound in the house, less clicky and distracting. Nice package, smaller footprint and operate well... They did better than I expected in the WAF department. I believe the core package is still more embedded device and not an SOC.. meaning it likely will never support a linux type operating system or IPV6 stack... so, no Matter coming directly to the switch. If I choose to go matter in the future, I'm counting on implementing it as described in the post above.

On 8/16/2024 at 9:02 AM, bcdavis75 said:

Hmm. I hadn’t thought of it that way. Although there are other reasons for wishing for wishing Insteon to migrate to matter/thread. I presume, maybe incorrectly, that it would remove the PLM from the mix, should it ever be necessary, all your lights could be easily migrated to a different platform. 

The only benefit would be not needing a plm. It would require a rewrite of insteon code since insteon is not zigbee based.

Since you're wanting to use the eisy anyway, there wouldn't be a noticeable difference in performance.

• Like 2

Current Insteon devices will never support matter natively and will require something like the Insteon hub or eisy to bridge the devices to matter. Insteon hub has built in plm. Eisy requires a plm. However, neither of these devices currently have Matter support released. Therefore if you want to play with matter devices right now and have an Insteon hub, or eisy and insteon, then the best solution is to use home assistant and use respective integrations.

Home assistant can then act as a matter bridge which should work with Insteon entities via integration. This should allow you to expose Insteon to other Matter like Apple, google etc. (in case of Apple I would suggest the HomeKit Bridge integration instead of mucking about with matter)

https://smarthomescene.com/guides/exposing-home-assistant-entities-as-matter-devices/

Edited by brians
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1